beta 4.09 build32 "search for process on the internet" option not working

Started by edkiefer, March 25, 2011, 09:37:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

edkiefer

As the title says, if I right click on a process in the GUI log list and use the option "search for process on the internet" nothing happens .
The jump to  log file option works ok .
Bitsum QA Engineer

TfH

edkiefer

Bitsum QA Engineer

TfH

I tested on my laptop (x32, XP SP3) and same problem as you are having.

Jeremy Collake

Thanks, I will look into this. It is something I've actually been investigating, and not limited to that link. It seems is some cases calls to open web sites fail, or the user is unaware that a new tab of their browser opened one. I will continue investigation of this. It may depend on what browser you use. Users of Firefox seem to be the ones with the most common complaint. A quick test here showed the feature to be working in test beds. Please do confirm that no tab is opened in Firefox without your knowing. Unlike other browsers, the focus does not seem to be transferred to it.
Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.

edkiefer

Yes , I am using FF 3.6.15 and I double check no new tab opened . I also closed FF and started IE8 same issue but my default browser is set to FF so that might not help at all .

Also I am seeing same bug with respect to what process is shown restraint when hovering mouse over the graph as someone else reported (I forget version they used but seems its not updating right (the process name)) .
Bitsum QA Engineer

Jeremy Collake

Quote from: edkiefer on March 25, 2011, 10:05:35 PM
Also I am seeing same bug with respect to what process is shown restraint when hovering mouse over the graph as someone else reported (I forget version they used but seems its not updating right (the process name)) .

Yes, that is a separate bug that was mitigated, but not completely fixed (yet). Thanks for the additional information, there should be positive progress soon.

edkiefer

not sure if this will help but on my system autoruns when using search option on process starts up new FF window even though FF was already running .
System explorer starts up a new tab in FF , so at least these do work here in different ways .
Bitsum QA Engineer

Jeremy Collake

Interesting, that may be a good clue. I need to evaluate this more, but in early tests I have not reproduced the errata. More extensive tests should reveal it, as I have heard this complaint from several people the last month. While I have not changed anything, something in Firefox may have. After all, FF v4 was just launched, so I may see it there. The larger question will be what to do about it. The "open link" function comes down to a single shell API call.. So I have limited control. Anyway, I am sure I will work it out, or around it, one way or another.

Thanks (mobile, excuse typos)

Jeremy Collake

Some day I am going to have to explain why I type from my Tablet while sitting at my desk ;p. I have been exploring some research on Android, and while completely OT, I have to say that my impressions of Android, of tablets, and of the future has changed. I see the future being we all have Tablets. Maybe at home we have larger monitors that can automatically come on (e.g. via a wired or wireless protocol) when the device is near and a dock, complete with bluetooth keyboard and mouse. So, you come home and 'dock' your Tablet (or phone) and that is your home PC. That's where we are going I *think*... though of course it will take a while for poor people like me to get there, but prices aren't THAT bad if you are a savvy consumer.

How much workload can they handle? Plenty. We are 'there' already, just gotta get the prices down. The OS will be easier for consumers to use (I suppose), though there will be new challenges.. and.. well, I tell you, the one big loser is Microsoft. Bless their hearts as they try to get into this space. They tried years ago the whole Tablet PC concept and it never flew. Perhaps people just can't envision Windows as a touch OS. I dunno. Of course, prices were outrageous anyway. I never owned one of those neat looking tablet/laptop combos of the day.

TfH

Heh, same here :)

I have few computers and laptops runnig their "tasks", i browse forums etc on Samsung Galaxy Tab and do other stuff like email etc on my mobile phone LOL

Back to topic, i use Firefox 3.x series and on x64 build searching works. FF4 is too "new" for paranoia in mind :)

Jeremy Collake

Galaxy Tab here too  ;D .. If you have not installed Opera Mobile (NOT MINI), do so. It is miles faster and better than stock browser.

Well, to work for me.. Will update as I have them. Thanks much