Does Process Lasso optimize windows and it's programs for multi-core CPUs?

Started by Saad, June 27, 2011, 01:15:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Saad

I read in a website that Windows (all versions) does not support multi-core Processors well. and Mac support multi-core Processors better than Windows. In fact multi-core CPUs works better in Mac and programs benefit more from multi-core CPUs in mac.

Does Process Lasso optimize windows and it's programs for multi-core CPUs?

Jeremy Collake

Yes, it can help to optimize multi-core Windows systems. However, it can only do so much. The multi-core tweaks require manual configuration by the user, such as affinity adjustments for specific applications. However, ProBalance priority adjustments are useful whether you have 1 CPU or 16.

For the record, any difference between Mac OS X and Windows with regard to SMP (multi-core/multi-CPU) systems is negligible. I figure you are speaking of the new optimizations announced in OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard. As written in Wikipedia:

Quote"Back-end platform changes include improved support for multi-core processors through Grand Central Dispatch which attempts to ease the development of applications with multi-core support, and thus improve their CPU utilization"

This is actually more for application developers than for end users, though the end user could benefit. The OS itself may have made use of these improvements, though that isn't mentioned. You are going to find similar optimizations in Windows and linux SDKs (Software Development Kits). Whether or not Apple is playing catch-up to the very nice parellism tools Intel provides for Windows, or if Apple has somehow discovered a new way of doing things, I don't know.

The advantage of these optimizations is not terribly important for 99% of users. You would be hard pressed to even find an example where such optimizations made any difference. It really only matters to those running servers or other systems with a consistent high load and demand for absolute maximal performance running their applications. Still, everyone wants the fastest stuff, but my point is: It isn't accurate to say OS X is 'better' than Windows or linux at multi-core optimizations. All the OSes are on approximate equal footing, and you can bet that will always be the case as the competition makes sure that everyone stays on the ball.

Think about it, can you really see one OS doing something truly useful that isn't quickly copied by the other ones? While in the User Interface there are lots of differences, the basic architecture and system performance is more similar than dissimilar (though there are differences).

Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.

Jeremy Collake

I read a little more on this subject, and in fact the identical thing is available for both linux and Windows:

The source code for the library that provides the implementation of GCD's services, libdispatch, was released by Apple under the Apache License on September 10, 2009[3] It has been ported[4] to the FreeBSD operating system, starting with FreeBSD 8.1.[5] MidnightBSD 0.3-CURRENT includes "libdispatch" without blocks support.[6] Linux support is provided within the upstream trunk.[7] In order to develop support for Windows, currently two forks exist at opensource.mlba-team.de and Github.[8][9]
- Wikipedia
Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.