ZoneAlarm re-requests permission each auto-update

Started by Hotrod, July 14, 2011, 06:20:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hotrod

The auto-update has been working beautifully so far with only one little hitch(5.0.0.35). I have given full permissions for all the PL exe files to access the internet through ZoneAlarm Free including the quickupgrade.exe yet this file ALWAYS stops to ask permission each time even though I have told it to allow and remember this setting. I have created Firewall Zones to allow all the IP's that have been logged by ZA for PL. Is there anyway to get this to stop? It makes it impossible to perform an unattended update, which is what i need to occur. The only thing stopping it is quickupgrade.exe.

Jeremy Collake

Quote from: Hotrod on July 14, 2011, 06:20:04 PM
The auto-update has been working beautifully so far with only one little hitch(5.0.0.35). I have given full permissions for all the PL exe files to access the internet through ZoneAlarm Free including the quickupgrade.exe yet this file ALWAYS stops to ask permission each time even though I have told it to allow and remember this setting. I have created Firewall Zones to allow all the IP's that have been logged by ZA for PL. Is there anyway to get this to stop? It makes it impossible to perform an unattended update, which is what i need to occur. The only thing stopping it is quickupgrade.exe.

It could be that because the file changes, ZoneAlarm sees it as a different file and causes it to re-request permission each time. There might be some option to have ZoneAlarm not check a file for modifications. I do not know. If there is, it may be well hidden.

FIX: One 'trick' you might try is setting the read-only attribute on quickupgrade.exe. This would prevent it from being over-written/updated itself. In the future it might quit working though, if something big changes in the system. Probably it works forever, or years, without needing updates. I should add this option.
Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.

Jeremy Collake

I have done something about this.

Now ONLY if the quickupgrade.exe file NEEDS an update will it get pushed out. This will reduce the number of occurrences of this type of problem.

Hotrod

Updated this morning to 5.1.1.2 final on 5 diff boxes: 4X (XPSP3) & 1X (Win7x64) all without fail or issue and only 2 asked for a firewall exception. I think you got it licked ;)

Jeremy Collake

Quote from: Hotrod on July 12, 2012, 02:55:37 PM
Updated this morning to 5.1.1.2 final on 5 diff boxes: 4X (XPSP3) & 1X (Win7x64) all without fail or issue and only 2 asked for a firewall exception. I think you got it licked ;)

Wasn't me ;o.  I am going to *guess* that they finally added my certificate to the 'trusted certs' list. Problem now is I just switched certificates in v6 (sigh). OR it could be that I'm time-stamping my digitally signed files now. Hmm..

I do have a plan to have it licked though - with the new unified updater I'm rolling out as soon as I finish it. It will update all Bitsum products. It will only update itself when needed (which should be rare).