Memory use in "PL" in comparison "Task Manager"

Started by Saad, August 23, 2011, 03:29:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Saad

Hi.
Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware service is running in my Windows. Windows Task Manager shows amount of Memory use of "mbamgui.exe" 1,488 K. but Process Lasso shows:
Memory (commit size) : 2,672 K
Memory (working set) : 8,896 K

Why is different between WTM and PL ?
What is each of "Memory (commit size)" and "Memory (working set)" ?

in WTM is two process of this program: "mbamservice.exe" & "mbamgui.exe".
but in PL is just: "mbamgui.exe".
why?

Jeremy Collake

The Task Manager is showing you the Private Working Set, while Process Lasso is showing the Working Set. The difference is that the Private Working Set represents only memory specifically allocated to that process and not shared with another process. That probably isn't helpful though ;o. Virtual memory management is quite complex, though most people think of it in very simple terms (process Y using X amount of memory). In reality, you can't simplify things that much.

I wrote more about this here: http://bitsum.com/docs/pl/faq.htm#virtual_memory , including the differences between Working Set and Commit Size.. You may find more clear explanations elsewhere though, I'm not sure ;).

Hope this helps.
Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.

edkiefer

Also in Task manager add these columns to get more info (mem usage, VM size and peak mem usage ).
AFAIK the first 2 gives same as PL , at least it seems to match up here .
Bitsum QA Engineer

Jeremy Collake

And as edkiefer points out for the Task Manager,  there are also other many other memory metrics and columns you can pick in Process Lasso. Right click on the column header, or use the view menu.
Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.