Copy Log feature request

Started by nibble, September 26, 2008, 07:51:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nibble

Process Lasso helped me these days to find an anormality in Firefox 3.0.2 (which no other Version before did), because it always runs in high priority level (btw. its not any spyware), really annoying, that I finally switched from this day to Opera and a simple setting to normal (even default starting) doesn't really helped, the Lasso always warned me Firefox was running again at high.

During this tracking I discovered one little thing is really missing atm and could be useful in Process Lasso a .txt Log-export or just a simple copy feature of the Actions Log window (we can actually just del the content, right?), you know something like filemon or regmon and only screenshooting is not always the best way for a plain text analysis record.

Jeremy Collake

Quote from: nibble on September 26, 2008, 07:51:15 AM
During this tracking I discovered one little thing is really missing atm and could be useful in Process Lasso a .txt Log-export or just a simple copy feature of the Actions Log window (we can actually just del the content, right?), you know something like filemon or regmon and only screenshooting is not always the best way for a plain text analysis record.

I'm glad Process Lasso was helpful to you.

That is a good suggestion, I'll work on adding the ability to copy selected log entries to the clipboard -- and/or the ability to export them to a file.

In the meantime, note that the log is backed by a file, so you manually open it in a text editor. It is a CSV formatted file, so can also be easily imported into Excel and other spreadsheet applications. The About box will show you the path to the log file.

Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.

nibble

I already guessed it could be a file in the program dir, but was maybe blind and looking for a .log, .txt (the common ones). But you are right, .csv is much more versatile.

Thanks in advance, I'm currently working on the german translation, might become something easier to handle PL.  ;D

Jeremy Collake

Quote from: nibble on September 28, 2008, 07:16:45 AM
I already guessed it could be a file in the program dir, but was maybe blind and looking for a .log, .txt (the common ones). But you are right, .csv is much more versatile.

You may not have seen it because its default storage location is a sub-folder of the current user's ProgramData folder (re: not 'Program Files'). This folder is hidden by default, and in XP is buried a little bit. Lastly, the extension is .LOG even though its a CSV formatted file. Using 'ProgramData' of 'Program Files' lets Process Lasso run with limited user rights. Anyway, as I mentioned, the about box will give you the precise path.

Thanks in advance, I'm currently working on the german translation, might become something easier to handle PL.  ;D

Great ;). I have plans to eventually overhaul how I do the translations, as I've driven some translators crazy with my constant changes to the menus and dialogs. However, it won't be any wasted effort to translate today's version.

Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.