Process Lasso and Windows 8 (100% compatible)

Started by Jeremy Collake, September 18, 2011, 07:29:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeremy Collake

I am happy to report that Process Lasso works great in Windows 8. I will continue testing to ensure that it is perfectly integrated at release time and takes advantage of any new UI or functional features of Windows 8.
Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.

Jeremy Collake

The Windows 8 OS itself is... different ... designed for touch input while maintaining mouse and keyboard support. If you haven't seen it, it's quite the change. The OS itself is difficult (for me) to navigate with a mouse. However, the Windows 7 style interface is mostly still around, though many OS components have been changed to accommodate touch input.

The Metro UI isn't something you can show with screenshots. The lock screen has to be 'slid' like a phone or tablet. Notifications and some panes are large, mono-color windows with big text. The mouse acts more like a 'finger' would in many areas, dragging things around. Then of course there are the tiles, which take some getting used to.

For those who are curious, here is a glimpse of what the Windows 8 Task Scheduler looks like. If the only changes were UI revamps like this, Windows 8 would be great, hands down. However, marrying touch and traditional input is still far from perfect, so I can't give the whole endeavor a thumbs up yet. It will be nice for Microsoft to have a unified OS that is touch friendly, but the marriage of the two input methods seems far from perfect in this early preview -- in my humble opinion. It will likely improve before final release.

This is the first major change to the Windows Task Scheduler in years. Of course, the Resource Monitor was introduced in Vista, but the Task Scheduler remained largely the same. Here, it is completely rewritten - intended for readability and usability on tablets and other touch screens. Notice how the listview headers are large and clickable. The text is also in multiple font sizes for easier visibility (more so seen on the other pages). It sure does use a lot more RAM though, as shown here -- more than 4x that of Process Lasso's GUI! The memory utilization shown here is the private working set.

Remember, Process Lasso is NOT a task manager, it is an optimization and automation tool.. so this is no competition to Process Lasso, it is just a cosmetic improvement to the existing Windows Task Manager.

I wrote more at http://bitsum.com/+

I will post more screenshots if anyone wants to see them. Maybe a video of Windows 8 would show you better ... If I had to choose right now between it and Windows 7 for my PC, it would be Windows 7 for sure. For a tablet, obviously the story would be different.

edkiefer

That is interesting , I have not tried win8 but when I first heard rumors and features it always seemed to be a tablet type OS, not for PC .

SO what your saying is this preview version has no options for normal size icon and folder and start menu for mouse usage ?

While I am sure touch screens and tablets will be higher % , I sure hope they leave some legacy desktop/start menu interface for PC users , maybe they have multiple version but that would add complexity .
Bitsum QA Engineer

Pho3nX

Hello !

I have Windows 8 8102 M3 and i just disabled "Metro" interface ;)

A program by "Winreview.ru" is out. It is called ""Metro Controller" and you can dowloaded it > Here <

Otherwise I'm happy that Process Lasso was already compatible with Windows 8

Pho3nX

Like me :)

A graphical overhaul for Process Lasso soon ?

Jeremy Collake

@Pho3nx: AH, I figured it could be reconfigured, but hadn't looked into it yet -- thanks for the tip ;). I'll have to investigate just how much it reverts to classic behavior.

@edkiefer: I've spent about 5 minutes in it, mainly focused on Process Lasso, so can't say yet. I will report more later.

Jeremy Collake

Quote from: Pho3nX on September 19, 2011, 11:25:42 AM
A graphical overhaul for Process Lasso soon ?

Absolutely ;). It will take some time, but it is coming for sure.

Miroku4444

Good to hear.

I wouldn't get windows 8, that interface is horrible. Why would i want to touch my monitor? It might have business applications, but not for home use. I might get a new computer in a couple of years, and if it has windows 8 on it, I think ill take that off and put windows 7 on it. I hear win7 rocks?

edkiefer

For those not familiar , Anandtech did a preview of the win8 build .
http://www.anandtech.com/show/4771/microsoft-build-windows-8-pre-beta-preview/1

supposedly win8 will be able to disable metro but seems not this build , if you read comments on there someone give reg hack to disable it .
Bitsum QA Engineer

Jeremy Collake

Even after disabling metro, many of the OS components and apps have been redesigned for touch input -- making things different. Plus, there always that 'dead weight'. The new Task Manager, for instance, was using 4x the amount of RAM of the Process Lasso GUI (see screenshot). Lets hope it improves ... I'm one to usually always adopt the latest OS, but if this were the final, I'd definitely not adopt it.

The registry value to disable Metro is at:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer
RPEnabled=0

Jeremy Collake

Quote from: Pho3nX on September 19, 2011, 11:22:17 AM
A program by "Winreview.ru" is out. It is called ""Metro Controller" and you can dowloaded it > Here <]

Note that according to comments at that site, there are some problems after using this (e.g. the Task Manager no longer works). I guess that is why Microsoft didn't expose this option in this build.

edkiefer

Yes, what I don't like its just another layer/shell that uses resources , I really wish they either give option at installation point so you can choose what modules you want or just another version .
I don't like "jack of all trade" type OS which such a broad user interface to deal with .

Edit : just ran across this at betanews , might be better than other utility , no feedback yet though .

http://fileforum.betanews.com/detail/Metro-UI-Tweaker-for-Windows-8/1316459732/1
Bitsum QA Engineer

Pho3nX

Thanks for your link :)  this software is more stable and complete

Final link without redirect url is : Here

Windows 8 offer a lot of new features ^^

Jeremy Collake

Quote from: Pho3nX on September 20, 2011, 03:33:04 AM
Windows 8 offer a lot of new features ^^

A lot of new cosmetic features .. and a few other minor ones  I suppose. Thanks for the updated link, I'm sure some may find that utility quite useful.