Process Lasso locks up when computer is shutdown

Started by Sammo, September 20, 2011, 06:33:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sammo

Every time I access the GUI, make any changes or update Process Lasso, my computer will hang on shutdown, waiting for me to end task for Process Lasso. I have version 5.0.0.48b Pro and am running XP 32 bit. Any suggestions?

Miroku4444

Was it doing it on other versions of process lasso? Maybe it your Anti-virus interfering?

Jeremy Collake

I have not seen any indication of a bug that would cause this. Therefore, I suspect the cause is that your PC is, for whatever reason, unusually slow to shut down. There are other possibilities, remote ones though, and all would have to do with hardware issues or third-party applications interfering with Process Lasso.

For now, I'd suggest Exiting Process Lasso prior to a shutdown. If you investigate further and find any clues, such as anything else abnormal, then please do report it.

Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.

Sammo

When ever I use the GUI, Process Lasso will hang on shutdown. It has occurred with every version I've had. I have also tried different antivirus and firewalls and had the same problems

Jeremy Collake

If you take no action, does the system go ahead and shut down in 10-15 I I seconds? or do you have to force Process Lasso to close?

Thanks

Sammo

Quote from: bitsum.support on September 21, 2011, 02:14:10 PM
Interesting. What OS are you running? This is truly perplexing, as I have so many test beds and never see this. There might be something common in affected systems... Now if we can determine what...

If you take no action, does the system go ahead and shut down in 10-15 I I seconds? or do you have to force Process Lasso to close?

Thanks
I has Windows XP SP3. If I take no action my system shuts down normally in 10 to 15 seconds.

Jeremy Collake

Quote from: Sammo on September 21, 2011, 02:16:10 PM
I has Windows XP SP3. If I take no action my system shuts down normally in 10 to 15 seconds.

This is an important clue. If it truly 'hung' then it would take much longer. I therefore strongly suspect is simply that there are so many application shutting down that your PC has slowed. Process Lasso is designed to be one of the last to shut down, so that it can help the other processes shut down faster. So, it is most likely nothing at all to be concerned about.

Sammo

Quote from: bitsum.support on September 21, 2011, 05:12:52 PM
Quote from: Sammo on September 21, 2011, 02:16:10 PM

This is an important clue. If it truly 'hung' then it would take much longer. I therefore strongly suspect is simply that there are so many application shutting down that your PC has slowed. Process Lasso is designed to be one of the last to shut down, so that it can help the other processes shut down faster. So, it is most likely nothing at all to be concerned about.
Actually, I think you misunderstood me. Process Lasso will hang up the system shutdown only once I have used the GUI. If I then do nothing, my system will continue to wait until I press the "End Now" button and it will then shut down. This is a real problem.

Jeremy Collake

Oh, my mistake. I really do not know. I have 4 physical test beds, and 10 virtual test beds. All of them shut down fine. I just do not know what is going on here, but I will keep an eye out for clues.

If any other user has seen this, please report it here!

Sammo

One other thing that may be important that I forgot to mention. When I use the GUI and make any changes that require Process Lasso to restart itself, it will freeze no matter if I choose to restart it or not. I have to use task manager to forcible end the Process Lasso task.

Jeremy Collake

What security software do you use? This may be the problem...

Sammo

Quote from: bitsum.support on September 23, 2011, 12:48:40 AM
What security software do you use? This may be the problem...
I currently have Comodo CIS 5.8 w/o av and Avira 12 Pro. I have the same problems when I have run Online Armor with Avast or AVG. Every security software combo have given me the same outcome with Process Lasso.  ???

Jeremy Collake

TWO?!? Never have TWO installed, EVER... That is a huge issue. Have a SINGLE security software product installed, else you will have all sorts of problems. They do not play 'nice' with each other and you'll end up with the slowest PC imaginable.

These days many will FORCE you to uninstall competing products first.

Ask anyone about this. Don't just take my word for it.

Jeremy Collake

Re-reading, I see one doesn't have AV, but still the principle is the same: Only one security product, period.

Anyway, this is specific to your PC, whatever the cause... I've not had any other report of this, and not replicated it any test bed. I am very sorry. If I get any clue, I will act on it. It is almost certainly related to your particular software environment.

Please understand, I try to fix any issue reported, but sometimes this is just not possible as it is not reproducible. Software environments are complex and sometimes some applications just don't play well together. Process Lasso is one of the most conservative apps there is, always playing it safe, but others apps don't act so conservatively.

It could even be a hardware or driver issue.. I don't know. I have to sadly recommend uninstalling Process Lasso if this bothers you. Stay tuned in on this thread, and if I get any ideas, I will list them.

Please accept my apologies for this trouble, even though it is almost certainly not my fault ;)

Sammo

Quote from: bitsum.support on September 23, 2011, 01:01:41 AM
TWO?!? Never have TWO installed, EVER... That is a huge issue. Have a SINGLE security software product installed, else you will have all sorts of problems. They do not play 'nice' with each other and you'll end up with the slowest PC imaginable.

These days many will FORCE you to uninstall competing products first.

Ask anyone about this. Don't just take my word for it.
I am not running 2 of the same type of security programs. Comodo Firewall 5.8 and Avira Premium. One would be stupid not to have both a good antivirus and a good firewall as is my case now. In the past I have tried the complete Comodo Internet Security Suite, and at another time I tried Online Armor firewall with Avast antivirus. Each time I still had the exact problems with Process Lasso.

Miroku4444

QuoteI am not running 2 of the same type of security programs. Comodo Firewall 5.8 and Avira Premium.
Don't you mean Comodo Firewall 5.5? I have comodo firewall and the current version is 5.5.195786.1383. Comodo firewall is Deceiving. Even though you have just the firewall installed, it still says comodo internet security.

Jeremy Collake

Quote from: Sammo on September 23, 2011, 01:22:56 AM
I am not running 2 of the same type of security programs. Comodo Firewall 5.8 and Avira Premium. One would be stupid not to have both a good antivirus and a good firewall as is my case now. In the past I have tried the complete Comodo Internet Security Suite, and at another time I tried Online Armor firewall with Avast antivirus. Each time I still had the exact problems with Process Lasso.

I misunderstood in my speed reading. Please accept my apologies for that, and for my failure to know what is causing this on your PC ;o.

Sammo

Thank you both for all of your help. I am actually running Comodo 5.8 beta, but I had the same problems with version 5.5. I have put in exclusions in Comodo for Process Lasso and still no joy. Let me know if you hear anything new. I love PL and don't want to go without it.

Miroku4444

Does your defense+ rules for processlasso.exe look something like this?

Sammo

Yes, I have the D+ rules that completely allow Process Lasso.