WOW! A couple of suggestions

Started by ubotbuddy, January 02, 2013, 06:36:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ubotbuddy

I am truly impressed.  I see an HUGE difference in my home computer already.

After reading thru part of the docs and nosing around in a few of the screens I do see a couple of things that I would love.

Under Conditional Automation / Disallowed Processes.
I love this section.  A++++  Would it be possible to have something similar for Processes that die after a period of time to just blow them out?  I have a few apps that start via my Windows Scheduler and the app runs fine except it doesn't totally drop out of the system.  After a few days I end up with several virtually inactive processes that are not running but they do consume memory.

Under Conditional Automation / Instance count limited processes.
Again this is a pretty nice feature!  Can an option be included to keep the newer instance running and zap the older instance?  This would at least control the a fore mentioned processes from growing out of control.

As I said I am just jumping into this and loving it.  SO keep up the great job!

And if this thread needs to be placed in the right area then I apologize for posting it in here.

Buddy

ubotbuddy

I think I found a solution for me that kills both of my suggestions.

I set the number of instances to 1 and I killed all of those processes from within Window's Task Manager.  And the next time they started on their regular schedule when they ended they actually dropped out of the processes themselves.  So Process Lasso now keeps this growing list under contrl.

MOST Xcellent!

BenYeeHua

QuoteI have a few apps that start via my Windows Scheduler and the app runs fine except it doesn't totally drop out of the system.  After a few days I end up with several virtually inactive processes that are not running but they do consume memory.
This, you can edit the scheduler you want to stop after running more than the time it need(like 10 mins) with double click-Setting-"Stop the task if it runs longer than"-15 minutes. ;)

And if you has many of apps running(multi-task)/open/close, you will like to having a SSD as your system disk. :D

ubotbuddy

Where is that scheduler at?  I have another app that could benefit from that.

Thanks!

Jeremy Collake

Quote from: ubotbuddy on January 03, 2013, 04:07:06 PM
Where is that scheduler at?  I have another app that could benefit from that.

He means the Task Scheduler, it has a surprising amount of options.

I appreciate your feedback and will respond shortly ;)
Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.

Jeremy Collake

Quote from: ubotbuddy on January 02, 2013, 06:36:28 PM
Under Conditional Automation / Disallowed Processes.
I love this section.  A++++  Would it be possible to have something similar for Processes that die after a period of time to just blow them out?  I have a few apps that start via my Windows Scheduler and the app runs fine except it doesn't totally drop out of the system.  After a few days I end up with several virtually inactive processes that are not running but they do consume memory.

Well, that depends on what you mean by inactive. If they are truly hung/stalled, then I can detect that and act on them. However, just because they are showing an almost unmeasurable amount of CPU use doesn't mean they are inactive. They may also have hooks waiting to become active as necessary. An example of a process like you mean would be good I guess.

Quote from: ubotbuddy on January 02, 2013, 06:36:28 PM
Under Conditional Automation / Instance count limited processes.
Again this is a pretty nice feature!  Can an option be included to keep the newer instance running and zap the older instance?  This would at least control the a fore mentioned processes from growing out of control.

That is exactly opposite of the current behavior. It can be done, for sure. I am not sure when I will get to it to be honest, but it can be done! I will see what I can do and keep it in mind.

Thanks much for your support!

ubotbuddy

Task Scheduler!

What a joke.  That windows app stinks.  That was the whole reason I started my research and then found your GREAT product. 

My first suggestion:
The apps I am talking about just hanging, really are hanging.  I have let them sit for days and the memory consumption does not grow nor does it go away.  I have the Task Scheduler set to terminate the program after a specified period of time as well as don't un more than one.  But I still end up with multiple copies of varying memory consumption.

These are programs that I have written so the termination code is present.  When my programs are run by double clicking and then they end they drop out of memory normally.  HOWEVER, when the Task scheduler starts them I can see them start and I can watch the CPU utilization and memory consumption change around.  Then I see the program terminate and drop off of my Taskbar.  So visually it appears to be done.  Inside of Task Manager and your Process Lasso I can still see the program which leads me to think that Task Scheduler is flawed.

If it were my program then starting in manually should produce the same dead remnant in Task Manager.  But I have yet to see this effect.

That is the history of my first suggestion.

As far as the second suggestion.  That would be awesome if you could add it.  I definitely see the option you currently have it at as being needed.  BUT I also see the reverse situation being needed as well.

Like I said you have a great product and I will be promoting it to an advanced development group that I moderate.

Buddy

BenYeeHua

QuoteWhat a joke.  That windows app stinks.  That was the whole reason I started my research and then found your GREAT product.
And PL is starting by him also. ;D
That is the only way to bypass the UAC.
QuoteThese are programs that I have written so the termination code is present.  When my programs are run by double clicking and then they end they drop out of memory normally.  HOWEVER, when the Task scheduler starts them I can see them start and I can watch the CPU utilization and memory consumption change around.  Then I see the program terminate and drop off of my Taskbar.  So visually it appears to be done.  Inside of Task Manager and your Process Lasso I can still see the program which leads me to think that Task Scheduler is flawed.

If it were my program then starting in manually should produce the same dead remnant in Task Manager.  But I have yet to see this effect.
Strange...
I has some apps is starting with it, and I can ending it without the process remain running.
Did you has any software that inject the dll into the process?
Because I has one software inject the dll to making the words rendering with FreeType, and it always causing the short live time process remain running(after it's jobs is done).
So I stop/uninstall the software, and it don't happen again.

ubotbuddy

Nope.  I do not touch external dll's in my apps when developing them.  Like I said, when I run them manually they start, run and close normally.

When the Task Scheduler is involved it seems to start them and let them run ok.  But that is where it abandons them at the point they finish their job.

BenYeeHua

Strange...
Did the apps running as admin, or a limited user?
And did you try in other computer/windows?

And how about other apps that running by Task Scheduler, did them running like that also?

ubotbuddy

Yes, they run as Admin and no I don't have another computer that I could try them on.  And no I don't have any other apps in the scheduler.

I have heard of others in our development forum having similar issues.  The software developer has not gotten back with me concerning this issue.

BenYeeHua

So it has some problem for the Task Scheduler.
I will keep an eye on the apps that using it to start.
----
QuoteAnd no I don't have any other apps in the scheduler.
Wait, so you just start PL manual?

Jeremy Collake

Footnote: ProcessLassoLauncher.exe, if you ever wondered, starts Process Lasso by running its Task Scheduler entry, if it exists.

ubotbuddy

Nooooooooooooooooooo

PL is fine!  It is working perfectly.

The Windows Task Scheduler is screwing up other apps that I want started periodically.

Jeremy Collake

It doesn't surprise me. I've documented a very serious cosmetic bug in Windows 8. I am going to get off my butt and make a screecast next time I see it. The task bar can basically decide to quit updating itself, getting all out of sync. Same goes for the system tray. Even the clock STOPS in its tracks. The only way to fix it is to flip to Metro and back, refreshing the task bar and system tray!

BenYeeHua

QuoteThe task bar can basically decide to quit updating itself, getting all out of sync. Same goes for the system tray. Even the clock STOPS in its tracks. The only way to fix it is to flip to Metro and back, refreshing the task bar and system tray!
Don't seeing this, but I has always saw the Resource Monitor don't showing the "new" green line after it moving sometimes.
I think it is because it only update the "new" area, and it don't update the "new" area sometimes.
----
Maybe your problem is this?
Try
bcdedit /set disabledynamictick yes
http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2012/10/better-on-the-inside-under-the-hood-of-windows-8/2/
----
So ubotbuddy, which windows are you using? :)

BenYeeHua

So I think I should avoid using Task Scheduler to starting the apps that will end itself after finish it jobs.(like auto-updater)
Thank for giving information about that. ;)
----
And I think that, how about PL provide a similar function like Task Scheduler? :D

ubotbuddy

Well, thanks for the comments !  Hopefully the 2nd of my suggestions will make it to the next version.  That would solve my app issues straight up.

Thanks again for a great product.

Buddy

Jeremy Collake

I uninstalled 'Open Hardware Monitor', which I had set to show two system tray icons (temperatures) and things returned to normal. This goes in line with another user report, who was using similar software that did a lot of system tray updates.

I don't think the ARS article has anything to do with it, but it is an interesting read. I may comment on it.

Jeremy Collake

@OP: I am sorry we can not help determine why your Task Scheduler is not working right. Since they reformed it in Vista+, I have NEVER had an issue with it, nor heard of an issue with it. I would advise to make sure you have all dependent services (and its service) running. That would be the most likely cause of failure, but I'm sure you checked that. Second would be some sort of registry damage.

BenYeeHua

Ya, and it is strange that, if Task Scheduler not working right for you and this problem is not happen at least for me.
It is meaning that, some software for your company/computer is causing that, or there are virus in your company network?
As I has Google awhile, I can't find someone that facing the same problem as you.
----
QuoteI don't think the ARS article has anything to do with it, but it is an interesting read. I may comment on it.
Ya, just because this function has causing whole computer freeze in the Windows 8 preview version, so I just think maybe it also cause the taskbar freeze in windows 8?

edkiefer

Quote from: Jeremy Collake on January 08, 2013, 08:23:37 PM
I uninstalled 'Open Hardware Monitor', which I had set to show two system tray icons (temperatures) and things returned to normal. This goes in line with another user report, who was using similar software that did a lot of system tray updates.

I don't think the ARS article has anything to do with it, but it is an interesting read. I may comment on it.
I use this to and this was one of app that can happen, since there no installer . Things like CPU-Z, GPU-Z any app with no installer seems there chance of getting 2, double entries .
Sometimes this can happen even with installer but most times it gets cleared up after few reboots , seems windows is sometimes smart .
Bitsum QA Engineer

Jeremy Collake

Quote from: edkiefer on January 09, 2013, 11:50:59 AM
I use this to and this was one of app that can happen, since there no installer . Things like CPU-Z, GPU-Z any app with no installer seems there chance of getting 2, double entries .
Sometimes this can happen even with installer but most times it gets cleared up after few reboots , seems windows is sometimes smart .

Double entries in the task bar is perhaps a sign, or perhaps an improperly created Window. Anyway, this effect stops even the system tray clock, only to be reset when you flip to Metro and back.

BenYeeHua

Quote from: edkiefer on January 09, 2013, 11:50:59 AM
I am not seeing them coming out with 2 entries yet. ;D
But I saw the freeze, fail start with CPU-Z, not supporting to reading the real memory usage in windows 8 with GPU-Z etc.
As they are accessing the hardware thing, everything is easy to happen. :)
----
Quote from: Jeremy Collake on January 09, 2013, 12:13:35 PM
Double entries in the task bar is perhaps a sign, or perhaps an improperly created Window. Anyway, this effect stops even the system tray clock, only to be reset when you flip to Metro and back.
Well done, you has stop the time of your world, and the only way to resume it is meet the Mr.Metro ;D
PS:And I just Google Mr.Metro and that person(Devon) is exist. ;)

edkiefer

I was referring to icon notification area list, not taskbar or tray . again this is no problem really .
I am on win7 , no win8 .
Bitsum QA Engineer

BenYeeHua

Quote from: edkiefer on January 09, 2013, 12:47:33 PM
I was referring to icon notification area list, not taskbar or tray . again this is no problem really .
I am on win7 , no win8 .
I know, rarely people are using win 8. :)

edkiefer

Oh, well, I just noticed I got all mixed up, and my repply was to another post we were talking about, Oh well maybe next time  ;)
Bitsum QA Engineer

Jeremy Collake

Often times I have a hard time figuring out what a topic is even about ;p. It also frequently changes mid-stream, lol.

BenYeeHua

Quote from: Jeremy Collake on January 10, 2013, 02:52:59 AM
Often times I have a hard time figuring out what a topic is even about ;p. It also frequently changes mid-stream, lol.
I normally can accept it, I always seeing that is a AMD threads and when I open it, AMD vs Intel vs Nvidia lol. ;D

Tarnak

Quote from: Jeremy Collake on January 08, 2013, 08:23:37 PM

Are we talking about the same thing here?  This was installed when I updated Task Manager, earlier today. See screenshot attached.

edkiefer

This is the open hardware monitor I was referring too .

http://openhardwaremonitor.org/
Bitsum QA Engineer

Jeremy Collake

@Tarknak: No, I was talking about something different. Sorry, this thread got mangled.

Tarnak

Quote from: edkiefer on January 10, 2013, 08:38:19 AM
This is the open hardware monitor I was referring too .

http://openhardwaremonitor.org/

Yes...That is the one.  ;)

P.S.  I guess you edited out your original post, because I can't see it.

Tarnak

Quote from: Jeremy Collake on January 10, 2013, 08:44:56 AM
@Tarknak: No, I was talking about something different. Sorry, this thread got mangled.

That's OK...I understand, now.  :)

Jeremy Collake

Yea, it is a general rule so that we can tell spammers from real people. Otherwise, I wouldn't really mind mentioning other software.

BenYeeHua

Quote from: Jeremy Collake on January 10, 2013, 09:12:08 AM
Yea, it is a general rule so that we can tell spammers from real people. Otherwise, I wouldn't really mind mentioning other software.
Me too, as every software has bug, and windows too. ;)
So, did you tell the dev(s) of the open hardware monitor, so he/she can warning the other windows 8 user?

ubotbuddy

NP guys!  Sorry been out of town.

I will figure it out.  It is either the software platform that I am using for the development and the vendor is in denial OR it's a Windows issue.

BenYeeHua

Quote from: ubotbuddy on January 10, 2013, 09:46:21 PM
NP guys!  Sorry been out of town.

I will figure it out.  It is either the software platform that I am using for the development and the vendor is in denial OR it's a Windows issue.
If you can, tell us who causing it/how it can happen after you figure out who cause it. ;)