Problems in XP 32-bit [One fixed by Options reset, other pending]

Started by amid525, August 17, 2015, 06:17:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

amid525

ПривеÑ,! Прошу прощения за русский язык.
ИмеюÑ,ся две проблемы.
1. На Xp и 7-ке,  Process lasso 8.2.0.0 < и поздние версии, не рабоÑ,аеÑ, сдерживание процессов. Не понижаеÑ,ся Ñ,,оновый приориÑ,еÑ, загруженного приложения.
2. КонкреÑ,но на Xp 32 все версии после 6.0.0.98 ужасно медленно загружаеÑ,ся (процесс  ProcessLasso.exe). После загрузки сисÑ,емы, загружаеÑ,ся пролассо последним в Ñ,рее. Но я Ñ...очу, чÑ,о бы его иконка была первой справа в Ñ,рее. ПриÑ...одиÑ,ся пользоваÑ,ься сÑ,арой версией..(

Hi! I apologize for the Russian language.
There are two problems.
1. Xp and 7-ke, Process lasso 8.2.0.0 <and later versions, deterrence does not work processes. Do not lower the priority of a background application loaded.
2. Specifically in the Xp 32 after the 6.0.0.98 version all terribly slow to load (the process ProcessLasso.exe). After loading the system boot prolasso last tray. But I wish that it would have been the first icon in the system tray on the right. You have to use the old version .. (

edkiefer

Bitsum QA Engineer

amid525

I did not understand the question

edkiefer

Quote from: amid525 on August 17, 2015, 11:24:11 AM
I did not understand the question
You wrote "1. Xp and 7-ke, Process lasso 8.2.0.0 <and later versions, deterrence does not work processes. Do not lower the priority of a background application loaded."

Is there a conflict with certain software on your XP system ?
Bitsum QA Engineer

amid525

НеÑ, конÑ,,ликÑ,ов. На версии ниже 8.2.0.0 рабоÑ,аеÑ, нормально.

edkiefer

Quote from: amid525 on August 17, 2015, 12:05:41 PM
НеÑ, конÑ,,ликÑ,ов. На версии ниже 8.2.0.0 рабоÑ,аеÑ, нормально.
Google translator = "No conflicts. At version 8.2.0.0 below it is working properly."

Ok, will have to investigate a XP system further with 8.2 and above .
Bitsum QA Engineer

amid525

По поводу медленного запуска программы на Xp,  серий выше 6.0.0.98? Неужели придеÑ,ся осÑ,аваÑ,ься на данной версии?  :(

edkiefer

Quote from: amid525 on August 17, 2015, 12:51:25 PM
По поводу медленного запуска программы на Xp,  серий выше 6.0.0.98? Неужели придеÑ,ся осÑ,аваÑ,ься на данной версии?  :(
Ok, will try an check startup slowness too , what's your system spec (CPU, memory, harddrive ) ?
Bitsum QA Engineer

amid525

asus f80s
IP dual CPU T3200
2.0 frequency
3Gb memory

Проблема с медленным запуском и на более мощныÑ... сисÑ,емаÑ....
На prolasso 6.0.0.98 и ниже все Ñ...орошо. ЗагружаеÑ,ся первым, бысÑ,ро.

amid525

Prolasso 6.0.0.98 загружаеÑ,ся за 1-2 sec
Prolasso 6.0.1.6 и выше, за 8-15 sec  ::)

edkiefer

ok, I tested 6.1 and 8.4 on a core dual 2.1gh with 4gigs of memory and a HD , no SSD .
1) I found no issue with startup  , PL was up and running in a sec or so .
2) Had no problems with restraint working (Probalance) , got yellow bar's in graph showing when it kicked in .

So , at least on this XP 32bit system, didn't find any performance issues .

Here something you can try though , don't have GUI running at startup, set it up so only governor runs at log-in .
With logs, have it log only events you really need , bigger logs can tend to slow system compared to small log , (you can keep log disabled to if you don't need it 90% of time ). Make sure you clear log to .

PS: This was just quick test , will look a little deeper to see if we can reproduce your results , maybe on another XP system .
Bitsum QA Engineer

amid525

Quote1) I found no issue with startup  , PL was up and running in a sec or so .
the taskbar icon appears after you run through 8-15 seconds. For me it's important that-be after the system boots, the icon appeared prolasso very first (right)

Quote2) Had no problems with restraint working (Probalance) , got yellow bar's in graph showing when it kicked in
Yellow band and I get, but the Task Manager, the priority remains normal (not reduced)

amid525

Especially for you, did the video. Which shows how the latest prolasso brakes on Xp. I checked on asus f80s and Acer Aspire 5733z, result is practically the same.
Just as there is no visible deterrent background process ...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=ACIs6IVG3CI

edkiefer

Quote from: amid525 on August 17, 2015, 03:29:27 PM
the taskbar icon appears after you run through 8-15 seconds. For me it's important that-be after the system boots, the icon appeared prolasso very first (right)
Yellow band and I get, but the Task Manager, the priority remains normal (not reduced)
1) Ok, will look into it little more.

2) you do realize the priority is lowered only temporary , so you might not catch it showing the lowering depending on update rate of task manger and you looking at it at right time .
Bitsum QA Engineer

amid525

Quoteyou do realize the priority is lowered only temporary , so you might not catch it showing the lowering depending on update rate of task manger and you looking at it at right time .

not true. Continuing the process was loaded bandikam video by 75%. I showed it to the video. And the priority of the process all the time remained in the middle PL 8.6.6.8
  on PL6.0.0.98 it reduces to below-average!

amid525

Jeremy Collake

Thanks for the report.

You can improve load performance by disabling the log, it's something on my radar right now. When the log gets to a certain size, if your hard drive is slow, it can cause Process Lasso's first display to be a bit slow.

I will review your video and report and see if I can determine what you are seeing with regards to the process priority change, or lack there-of. The priority should always be changed if a restraint occurs, for some period of time anyway, even if it's for a duration that is less than the GUI's refresh rate (so it never shows).

What I'll do is a good audit of XP this next version, we'll make sure it's running well in XP 32 and 64-bit, and try to retain support as long as possible. It is becoming increasingly difficult to maintain XP support since Microsoft dropped it, not to mention all the malware and app incompatibility issues with typical Windows XP installations. No user who cares about their security should be using Windows XP, but I guess that much is obvious.

I'll report back as I've investigated further.
Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.

edkiefer

I tried to reproduce with Prime95 , its dual core so I set it to use only 1, so 50% usage .
With ProBalance on and going back and forth with prime95 forground and back ground ,it is switching fine .
Normal priority with prime95 in focus and when not it goes below normal and stays as long as there a constant load .

Turn off ProBalance and its stays normal .
Try reset ProBalance setting in options >ProBalance setting>reset ProBalance defaults .

Also due know all processes that are not normal priority won't change by default, unless you set it in advanced settings .
So if a process default is below normal, nothing will happen priority wise .
Bitsum QA Engineer

amid525

QuoteYou can improve load performance by disabling the log, it's something on my radar right now
disabled, all the same brake
QuoteTry reset ProBalance setting in options >ProBalance setting>reset ProBalance defaults .
::)
It helped!

One problem solved!
It remains to solve the slow start (up to 15-30 seconds)  :-\
And also, under high load (when writing a video), at the opening of the interface, version 6.0.0.98 GUI is faster and does not hang. You've seen the video.

amid525

And another question. Why can not I download previous versions prlolasso?
For example, when downloading from the archive Process Lasso v6.0.0.59 loads a new version ..  :-\

edkiefer

Quote from: amid525 on August 18, 2015, 04:44:09 AM
And another question. Why can not I download previous versions prlolasso?
For example, when downloading from the archive Process Lasso v6.0.0.59 loads a new version ..  :-\
no, go to support page, there you see all PL versions .

https://bitsum.com/support/user-page.php
Bitsum QA Engineer

Jeremy Collake

Good to hear a rest of default options fixed most issues.

On the slow startup, here is what i want you to try:

Uncheck the menu item 'View / Show process icons'.

This menu item requires Process Lasso go to disk to get the process icon for every running process. Especially if you have security software also scanning those requests, it can cause a slow down. Let me know the results.

amid525

Ok! Done. Nothing changed. In Task Manager, it is noticeable that the delay occurs with the launch of ProcessGovernor.exe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=JShMpOQIi_w

Jeremy Collake

I'm going to guess and say it must be due to security software scanning these processes as they launch. What security software are you using?

Thanks!

amid525

Comodo firewal, ThreatFire.(no anti-virus software)
I doubt that because of them. Because PL 6.0.0.98 version starts instantly!

Jeremy Collake

I would not dismiss it so quickly. The behavior of security software varies wildly depending on the particular binary. Some it considers more suspicious than others, and one factor is how often it has been seen in the wild.

amid525

You can exclude this version. I cut off the defense, that does not change.

amid525

The problem in recent versions prolasso.
Prior to version 6.0.0.98 inclusive, everything was ok! :'(

Jeremy Collake

Oh, ok, well that's strange. The governor should start instantaneously in all circumstances, so I'm not sure how to account for this.

As for ProcessLasso.exe, clearing the log and disabling logging may help, if disabling the process icons didn't.

amid525

Magazine cleaned, cut off, neither of which has changed!
Take a closer look, please to 6.0.0.98!  Miracles do not happen ..)

edkiefer

I don't know if it will help but run startup setup option "reconfigure how PL starts" ,from options .
1)Set GUI /console manager(first option to "do not start at log-on"

2) Set second option, governor(core engine) to "start at log-on for all users" .
you can leave all the res default .

3) turn auto updates off , menu>updates >"check for updates every " >none .

See if that helps, you can still run GUI or update manually , its long shot but might help you .

If none of above helped , you could try a clean install of PL , uninstall it and make sure you remove/delete the config file and logs .
Once all user data is gone, reinstall and should be factory defaults and maybe better .
Bitsum QA Engineer

amid525

1, 2, 3 - It has not helped
QuoteIf none of above helped , you could try a clean install of PL , uninstall it and make sure you remove/delete the config file and logs .
Once all user data is gone, reinstall and should be factory defaults and maybe better .
Tried, did not help
:(

amid525

Earlier, on one of the Russian forums, also discussed the problem with the brakes PL latest versions on Xp. Many users for this reason refused to PL. I suggested version 6.0.0.98, now all satisfied to some degree ..)

BenYeeHua

So, I guess most of the users that having this issues, are not having the same software or Anti-virus installed?

And the Windows XP are not a modified OS, but the original version from MSDN?

edkiefer

Good point, make sure its up to date XP with SP3 installed .
Bitsum QA Engineer

amid525

edkiefer

thank for list , you have a lot of AV/ utility type app . try make sure none of these all using realtime scanning at same time , you could also disable one at time if any of them run at startup (use autoruns is good app for that ).

Advanced SystemCare 8
Ashampoo AntiSpyWare 2.10
COMODO Internet Security
IObit Security 360
Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, âåðñèÿ 2.0.4.1028
MCShield ::Anti-Malware Tool
SpyHunter
ThreatFire
Toolwiz Care
TU 2014
Wise Care 365 version 2.47
Zemana AntiMalware
Bitsum QA Engineer

amid525

I do not use real-time by all scanners. What works in real time, I wrote to you yesterday. They also turned off. Nothing changed. . At the time of braking Pl - nothing outside the system does not slow down. (except video). This is evident by the roller in the Task Manager

amid525

QuoteSo, I guess most of the users that having this issues, are not having the same software or Anti-virus installed?
Yes, they have XP SP3. Antivirus also turned off...
QuoteAnd the Windows XP are not a modified OS, but the original version from MSDN?
It does not matter. Some license some assembly.

BenYeeHua

Yes, as long as it is the same files with the ISO from MSDN(except it is included most patch) and nothing deleted, then it is fine. :D
---
For the real-time, even if you disabled them, as long as their driver are loaded, they still working for filtering the data. :)

I think you may try using Process Monitor to check for the boot, it may be helpful for pointing why this happen. :D
(It may has some tutorial in Russian, you may search this function name in Russian to see did there are any of them. ;))

http://blogs.technet.com/b/markrussinovich/archive/2012/07/02/3506849.aspx
http://www.msigeek.com/6231/how-to-enable-system-boot-time-logging-using-process-monitor-tool
http://www.ghacks.net/2009/10/09/use-process-monitor-to-optimize-the-windows-boot-process/

amid525

removed at the time of the program that you specified. Nothing changed.  The problem last prolasso For Xp   :-\

Jeremy Collake

How are you observing the delay in processgovernor.exe? If it's not starting instaneously, how do you know, given that it has no window to go with it?

I am asking because it may be:

1. Appearance only
2. The startup order

Of course, ProcessLasso.exe is a different story.

amid525

QuoteHow are you observing the delay in processgovernor.exe?
In the last video, in the Task Manager shows how processgovernor.exe long not appear after starting ..

Jeremy Collake

Oh ok, after *system* start, that helps define the problem. We (or I) thought you meant *after* processgovernor.exe starts, there was some delay.

The ordering of startup processes is determined by the OS. In XP, we start via a registry key like most other applications.

If you want it to start before user login, you can install the governor as a service. Otherwise, you should be content with it starting as soon as the OS gets around to launching it.

There may be some way to re-order the XP startup items by adjusting the ordering of the registry values, but I'll have to research that to give you a for-sure answer.

amid525

during boot windows, prolasso loaded for a long time, the last (the icon appears in the system tray).
In version 6.0.0.98 prolasso loaded the very first!

Jeremy Collake

The system tray icon is ProcessLasso.exe, not ProcessGovernor.exe . So, let's take ProcessGovernor.exe out of the equation, I think you just misunderstood the fact that it is *not* responsible for the system tray icon.

As for any delay on the startup load of ProcessLasso.exe, it may have something to do with the install order.

Behavior changes since v6 are certainly also possible, but if so, they are there for a good reason.

You should ask why it is important to have the system tray icon show up before other processes that start at user login? Note that the governor will begin enforcing rules as soon as it is loaded in the background.

For these reasons, I don't believe this is any critical problem. You can always use v6 if you choose.

amid525

QuoteThe system tray icon is ProcessLasso.exe, not ProcessGovernor.exe . So, let's take ProcessGovernor.exe out of the equation, I think you just misunderstood the fact that it is *not* responsible for the system tray icon.

In practice, (it shows in the Task Manager video) icon on the taskbar will only appear after you start ProcessGovernor.exe !!

p.s
I do not know what you've done with prolasso after version 6.0.0.98, but before that, everything worked and run fast!
:-\

Jeremy Collake

Ed just mentioned to me that you use a Startup Delay application.

What these kinds of applications do is force other programs to delay before they auto-start.

Could that be what you are seeing?

amid525

QuoteEd just mentioned to me that you use a Startup Delay application.
Он не при чем. prolasso в него я не сÑ,авил. Ð' Startup Delay сÑ,оиÑ, вÑ,оросÑ,епенный соÑ,,Ñ,.
He is not to blame. prolasso him I did not put.