How do I assign a process realtime priority at launch (or at all)?

Started by zickzack, August 17, 2010, 02:05:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zickzack

I'm using the latest version of Process Lasso (3.84.7) and Windows 7 x86.

Whenever I set a process to realtime priority, it shows a warning, Windows could lower the priority to high, which it does. I'm unable to assign this priority to a process with Process Lasso.

It also says, this behavior of Windows could be altered via the security policy editor.

How can I do this?

zickzack

Never mind, I just figured it out - start the program with Admin rights and it works :).

Jeremy Collake

Glad you got it figured out. That is something I should mention in the message box help for that error I suppose ;). Note that v3.99 alpha has better support for running Process Lasso with highest rights always, if that's something you're interested in doing.
Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.

zickzack

Yea, a hint that Process Lasso needs elevated rights for that priority would have surely saved me some time, I think you should go for it :).

Thanks for your support and this nice software!

zickzack

Hi again,

just wanted to tell you, that the first time when a process is started that is set to realtime priority at launch, it will still have normal priority.

Only when I start the process a second time, it will be set to realtime.

Maybe this is why you suggested I should use the alpha?

Jeremy Collake

Hmm, that's strange. You might try enabling 'Forced mode'. It could be that process is setting its own priority, so its a matter of timing as to which gets to it first. Process Lasso doesn't 'fight' with processes that change their own priority unless 'Forced mode' is enabled. Its in the options menu. You could also check the log to see if it changed the priority the first time (even if it didn't last). That's not why I suggested the alpha though, there are no known bugs in v3.84.7 related to default priorities.

zickzack

Great, that seems to have nailed it!

Without this option on, I realized that the process was not only assigned normal priority at the first launch, but at every 4th launch or so - I was not able to see a clear pattern.

The program I need (or want) to run at realtime is Media Player Classic, that loads a whole lot of other programs into the process - maybe the random behavior has something to do with that?

EDIT: the program hasn't adjusted the priority itself.

Anyway, looks like its sorted now - thanks again! :D

Jeremy Collake

Glad that worked ;). There is some debate as to whether I should enable that Forced mode by default. I am fairly certain I shouldn't, but I do need to find some way to let users know it exists.

You're right, its conceivable a codec or any other DLL Media Player Classic loads is adjusting its process priority. It may also do this on certain events, such as start of playback. On the other hand, maybe it was just doing it at load, and sometimes it was doing it after Process Lasso, and other times before Process Lasso - making it dependent on the timing. Process Lasso only checks processes every one second (by default).