Any way to choose power plan when performance mode active ?

Started by empleat, June 18, 2020, 01:18:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

empleat

It seems it is not possible to pick power plan to use, when performance mode is active. I can't find it anywhere...

edkiefer

Quote from: empleat on June 18, 2020, 01:18:30 PM
It seems it is not possible to pick power plan to use, when performance mode is active. I can't find it anywhere...
Hi, If you had performance mode for a specific process and you ran another program with a profile power plan too. Your first performance mode program is still running so that power plan should still be running.

The best, most efficient ways to sue power plans IMO is to think high/low, so use two or a combo with idlesaver. If you use multiple plans with many processes it's not going to work really as intended.
Bitsum QA Engineer

Jeremy Collake

See 'Options / Power / Performance Mode Settings / Select power plan to use ...'
Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.

empleat

empleat

Quote from: Jeremy Collake on June 18, 2020, 04:15:10 PM
See 'Options / Power / Performance Mode Settings / Select power plan to use ...'

Performance mode activated upon process launch and than power plan doesn't switch to Ultimate Performance, when under select power plan to use, i selected Ultimate Performance. Weird...

Jeremy Collake

It isn't clear why it isn't working for you. Quick tests appear to show the feature fully functional. What does the log say?

It should say something like:

Time,Computer name,User name,PID,Process name,Action,More info,Path,Command line
06-21-2020 09:51:15,BITSUM-PRIMARY,jerem,5876,notepad.exe,Active power plan changed,Per request of process default the power plan is now Ultimate Performance,,
06-21-2020 09:51:15,BITSUM-PRIMARY,jerem,5876,notepad.exe,Automatic Performance Mode ON,Automatic Performance Mode was turned on because a specified game process was found running.,c:\windows\system32\notepad.exe,"C:\WINDOWS\system32\notepad.exe"

The log may give a clue...

empleat

Quote from: Jeremy Collake on June 21, 2020, 09:53:21 AM
It isn't clear why it isn't working for you. Quick tests appear to show the feature fully functional. What does the log say?

It should say something like:

Time,Computer name,User name,PID,Process name,Action,More info,Path,Command line
06-21-2020 09:51:15,BITSUM-PRIMARY,jerem,5876,notepad.exe,Active power plan changed,Per request of process default the power plan is now Ultimate Performance,,
06-21-2020 09:51:15,BITSUM-PRIMARY,jerem,5876,notepad.exe,Automatic Performance Mode ON,Automatic Performance Mode was turned on because a specified game process was found running.,c:\windows\system32\notepad.exe,"C:\WINDOWS\system32\notepad.exe"

The log may give a clue...
Now it works, but when i quit game, profile doesn't switch back to profile, which was used before. I tried to select this profile in process lasso when i was in windows. And i don't know about any other setting, where you could specify that...

Jeremy Collake

What does your log say when you exit the game? You can open the Log Viewer to copy/paste multiple rows here.

empleat

Quote from: Jeremy Collake on June 26, 2020, 11:18:18 AM
What does your log say when you exit the game? You can open the Log Viewer to copy/paste multiple rows here.
Per request of process default performance plan is now ultimate performance. Have no idea which process could request that, there is nothing in command line etc.
It also says performance mode was tuned off, right after that. But ultimate peformance plan is on, instead plan that was active, before i launched a game. Under process there is: processgovernor.exe

And strange thing is, there is no option to set default power plan, when no designated high performance process is not running. Also i tried to use google more and it didn't find anything related, also nothing in setting to do so...

Jeremy Collake

It isn't yet clear what is going on. Try closing your game and entering your desired power plan. The launch the game, close it again. Then copy/pasting several log rows (form the Log Viewer) so we can see the chain of events.

empleat

Quote from: Jeremy Collake on June 29, 2020, 09:39:49 AM
It isn't yet clear what is going on. Try closing your game and entering your desired power plan. The launch the game, close it again. Then copy/pasting several log rows (form the Log Viewer) so we can see the chain of events.
Hmmmm now it randomly works, didn't really change anything since than. Weird. Anyways thanks for help!

empleat

OMG, i worked for while... But now same issue again, power plan won't switch. Process is designated as high performance process and performance mode is set to Ultimate Performance. Yet it doesn't switch. I went through this process: having high performance mode in Windows, launched a game, than i exited the game. And checked log, yet nothing. It worked today, i didn't changed anything since than. Hmmmmmm...

Jeremy Collake

Please open 'Options / Power / Performance mode settings / Designate High Performance processes ...'.

If you see a full path to your processes, remove those and replace them with only the filename. For instance, instead of "c:\windows\system32\notepad.exe", use only "notepad.exe".

Alternatively, you can simply clear the whole list and add your processes back by way of the 'Induce Performance Mode' process context menu (right-click) item. These days, processes are always added as only the filename, but that was not true a while back, so you may have old rules.

Let me know how it goes!

bertie97

I have a similar issue/query on 9.8.2.2 x64 W10

I have idlesaver set to drop from Hi Perf to Power Saver after x seconds.
I have an app set under RMB context menu > application power profile
Idlesaver drops from Hi Perf to PS after the set interval despite this app running, only way to ensure the app gets a higher power setting is to RMB>induce & it goes to BHP & stays there.  (Or turn off idlesaver).
Power / config app power profiles shows the app has been tagged with HP correctly but this doesn't persist.

Should this happen i.e. ignore the set power profile in favor of idlesaver?  I didn't think it used to be like that  ??? :-\

edkiefer

Quote from: bertie97 on July 17, 2020, 01:16:11 PM
I have a similar issue/query on 9.8.2.2 x64 W10

I have idlesaver set to drop from Hi Perf to Power Saver after x seconds.
I have an app set under RMB context menu > application power profile
Idlesaver drops from Hi Perf to PS after the set interval despite this app running, only way to ensure the app gets a higher power setting is to RMB>induce & it goes to BHP & stays there.  (Or turn off idlesaver).
Power / config app power profiles shows the app has been tagged with HP correctly but this doesn't persist.

Should this happen i.e. ignore the set power profile in favor of idlesaver?  I didn't think it used to be like that  ??? :-\
Use the latest beta and add performance mode to that App, making sure in idlesaver you have the option "disable while  performance mode is engaged"
See how that goes.
Bitsum QA Engineer

empleat

Quote from: Jeremy Collake on July 15, 2020, 11:54:11 AM
Please open 'Options / Power / Performance mode settings / Designate High Performance processes ...'.

If you see a full path to your processes, remove those and replace them with only the filename. For instance, instead of "c:\windows\system32\notepad.exe", use only "notepad.exe".

Alternatively, you can simply clear the whole list and add your processes back by way of the 'Induce Performance Mode' process context menu (right-click) item. These days, processes are always added as only the filename, but that was not true a while back, so you may have old rules.

Let me know how it goes!
I don't know, what is up. I tried to reinstall program even once, but now it is working again. I did nothing...

Quote from: edkiefer on July 17, 2020, 01:54:42 PM
Use the latest beta and add performance mode to that App, making sure in idlesaver you have the option "disable while  performance mode is engaged"
See how that goes.
Okay i enabled beta, see if it helps.

Jeremy Collake

The beta shouldn't matter, nothing changed in this regard. Check my prior guidance related to the rules having full paths vs filenames, though I don't know that is the issue.

Bertie's question is separate, and it sounds like it is behaving by design, depending on the value of IdleSaver option "disable while in Performance Mode".

empleat

Quote from: Jeremy Collake on July 19, 2020, 04:26:31 AM
The beta shouldn't matter, nothing changed in this regard. Check my prior guidance related to the rules having full paths vs filenames, though I don't know that is the issue.

Bertie's question is separate, and it sounds like it is behaving by design, depending on the value of IdleSaver option "disable while in Performance Mode".
I tried induce performance mode, don't work either. And no full paths! And there isn't even process name in the logs and i don't know when it happened exactly and i couldn't look i was in VR. I will test that someday and try to check immediately, after it happens.

edkiefer

Bitsum QA Engineer

bertie97

Quote from: Jeremy Collake on July 19, 2020, 04:26:31 AM

Is disable idlesaver while a game is running the option in question?  Can't see "disable while in Performance Mode"..... :-[
I did the update to the new beta & the issue seems to have gone away, didn't change any settings.  ???

It's working tho so thanks guys :)

edkiefer

Quote from: bertie97 on July 23, 2020, 11:09:44 AM
Is disable idlesaver while a game is running the option in question?  Can't see "disable while in Performance Mode"..... :-[
I did the update to the new beta & the issue seems to have gone away, didn't change any settings.  ???

It's working tho so thanks guys :)
Yes, that is the option, it shows up two places in PL menus.
1) Options>power>performance mode = "disable Idlesaver while a game is running"
2)Options>power>configure idlesaver= " disable while performance mode is engaged"

Both are really the same thing just worded and placed in different places.
Bitsum QA Engineer

bertie97

MaryLom

Globespy

Old post I know, but I think relevant to helping fix my issue.
I turned on BHP globally but of my PC doesn't seem to sleep anymore, but moving windows around the desktop are no longer laggy.
Running latest Win 11 (22631.3085), latest AMD chipset just released recently this year.
I guess I need to change to balanced when not gaming, then have 'Performance Mode' set to use BHP for gaming, making sure idle saver is disabled for 'Performance Mode' each game?

FWIW it seems that the occasional 2-3 second total screen freezes (without the game crashing)I was getting with 'balanced' (AMD 5800X3D CPU) have stopped with BHP, and desktop usage feels much smoother.
I should be able to run BHP  all the time if I go to options>power>idlesaver and set it to turn on and change the power plan to 'balanced' after 45 minutes of no activity? This way I should be able to have the benefits of BHP without the negative of a PC that won't go into sleep mode.
Is what I propose to do the right approach?

Update:
Yes, this works perfectly!
So all I need to do is ensure each game is using 'Performance Mode' (if it's not automatically detected) and I can have the best of both worlds!
Still always a use for PL, when such huge companies like Microsoft and AMD can't seem to manage this simple task.
Thanks!

Globespy

Update #2:
Actually this didn't work out the way I had hoped.
PL did indeed change the BHP to 'Balanced'after about 45 minutes of non activity, but this did not allow the PC to enter sleep mode.
I'm attaching a screen print of the log which shows that the power profile did change, and once again switch back to BHP when I first used the PC today, but did not enter sleep mode at all.
The PC has always gone to sleep when on 'balanced' power profile, appreciate any ideas to resolve this.
Thanks!

Jeremy Collake

Double check your power plan sleep settings just to make sure they didn't inadvertently change. In the traditional power plans, each power plan has its own sleep settings, unlike the power modes. In some cases, Balanced can get confused since it is both a power plan and has power modes.

Use the old control panel setting first, which you can get to in Lasso via 'Options / Tools / Power Options'. Then use the new 'Power and Sleep' settings of Windows. Make a change just to save it there

Let me know how it goes!

Globespy

@Jeremy Collake - thank you for the reply.
I followed your instructions and observed that in the old control Windows control panel that the computer was set to sleep after 30 minutes, but I had PL change from BHP to balanced if no activity was detected within 45 minutes, which may have been part of the problem. So I changed Windows control panel to sleep after 45 minutes and then PL power plan change to 30 minutes.

Also as you had guessed, the main Windows 11 power options were set to allow the PC to 'Never' sleep, so made the corresponding changes there.
I will report back if that resolves things.
Thanks.

Globespy

Update#3
That worked out just fine.
Thanks again for your help