Possible to add shortcut + attribute column?

Started by Coldblackice, July 19, 2022, 01:45:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coldblackice

Would it be possible to add a keyboard shortcut for jumping to the filter box input in the program list, e.g. CTRL-F? I use it often but by clicking in the list on processes, it necessitates having to click back and forth between the input box.

Also, would it be possible to add a "Parent" column in the process list? Unless I'm overlooking a way to see the parent of processes.

Jeremy Collake

Sure, we can add a keyboard shortcut for the filter edit box. I've logged that request.

Coincidentally, a parent process column is already planned for the next release, so it'll also be added.
Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.

Jeremy Collake

This should help to view the process hierarchy ;).

Coming soon in v11.0 beta...

Initially, the items won't be collapsable. However, that will also be done, in time.

Jeremy Collake

The requested CTRL+F keyboard shortcut and parent process columns are both present as of v11.0.0.21 BETA.

Coldblackice

Quote from: Jeremy Collake on August 08, 2022, 02:15:14 PMThe requested CTRL+F keyboard shortcut and parent process columns are both present as of v11.0.0.21 BETA.
Wow, these are fantastic! Thanks a lot for adding them.

Previously, I had to often jump over to process-hacker for the tree-view. But now I'm finding I can remain within process-lasso's window more for routine tasks (like jumping to any particular usage-hungry processes) without the need to jump. And it even works for the Actions log too!

The tree-view is phenomenal. Super useful being able to see, especially the ability to quickly rotate between them. Awesome adds.

As for the filter keyboard shortcut, would it be possible to add an "escape" from the filter box back to the respective parent panel? I tried "Escape", but it currently closes the window altogether*.

Perhaps "Escape" could return from the filter box -- if focused -- and a second "Escape" closes the window? Just a thought. The reason being, I use keyboard letter quick-jumps frequently in the main panel, so being able to keyboard switch between filter and panel would be great.

*Side-note: when the PL window closes with a filter, when the window later reopens, the old filter remains in place. Possible for an option to have it clear upon window close?

EDIT:

Possible to have the filter shortcut usable upon PL window open? Currently, when the PL window is pulled up, the focus isn't set into the main "All processes" panel, so the shortcut doesn't work until you click anywhere into the panel.

This would be especially useful when mouse-highlighting the graph for problematic processes, being able to focus the filter box and type without having to move the mouse away (and lose the detail-popup box).

Jeremy Collake

Quote... add an "escape" from the filter box back to the respective parent panel? I tried "Escape", but it currently closes the window altogether*.

Yes, and I agree that needs done. I've created a ticket for this.

QuotePerhaps "Escape" could return from the filter box -- if focused -- and a second "Escape" closes the window?

That will be the natural behavior once the filter box properly handles the ESCAPE key.

QuoteSide-note: when the PL window closes with a filter, when the window later reopens, the old filter remains in place. Possible for an option to have it clear upon window close?

QuoteCurrently, when the PL window is pulled up, the focus isn't set into the main "All processes" panel, so the shortcut doesn't work until you click anywhere into the panel.

Tickets also created for these two items.

When there is news on any of these, I'll reply again here.

Thanks for the feedback, as always!

Jeremy Collake

QuotePerhaps "Escape" could return from the filter box -- if focused -- and a second "Escape" closes the window?

Tentatively, as of v11.1.1.5, TAB will now escape the filter boxes. ESCAPE is used as an app global accelerator to close the window, and I will need to evaluate whether a change in behavior is warranted. That global accelerator sits in front of the individual child window message handling, so it also requires more adaptation.

(5) GUI: When filter edit controls have focus, TAB can escape to their respective listview