Something wrong with update system!

Started by airborne, May 29, 2011, 05:50:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

airborne

Hello!

I have had version 5.0.0.0.17 installed looked at bitsum homepage that a new version was released 5.0.0.0.19.
Open process lasso and check for update and it says a new version is available. But the manual or automatic
download options installs 5.0.0.0.15 instead an older version. There must be a bug in the updating system please
check it up.

Kind Regards

Jeremy Collake

This is because we switched web servers. You are referencing the old web server, which has v5.0.0.15 still on it. Either that or the old version is somehow stuck in your cache, which shouldn't happen at least for the automated update. I have tested the automated updater and verified the right files are on the server. Those problems I had briefly were fixed in the scripts a while back. So, its definitely the old server.

The new server went into effect about 8PM EST on Friday. Although the DNS change should have propagated to most people by now, some people it still hasn't reached. You may try clearing your DNS cache, and maybe switching DNS servers. Google DNS is at 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4. You can set your network connection to use these DNS servers, or set it in your router.
Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.

Jeremy Collake

I am going ahead and updating the files on the old server too, though it seems like a mute point now. I should have mentioned the new server can also be reached here:

32-bit: http://www.bitsum.org/files/prolasso.zip
64-bit: http://www.bitsum.org/files/prolasso64.zip

The new server has an IP of 64.50.165.124 .. so you know if it is resolving right, or if you are still hitting the old server.

I had to make this emergency switch because the old server literally got killed on Friday with the traffic. This is the 3rd time I've had to switch web servers in the last 2 months. The good news is that this should be the LAST time we have to relocate as this time I bought a real dedicated server.

airborne

I use scandinavia's biggest internet supplier Telia with fast dns servers. And i dont intend to change that
both the manual and automatic download option downloads the 5.0.0.0.15 version on all my computers.
I never heard with any other program that you need to change dns service to fix things like that.

Kind Regards

Jeremy Collake

You don't have to do anything and it will eventually resolve right. It has nothing to do with the program, it is because the web server was moved. It takes time for DNS changes to propagate throughout the world's DNS caches. Apparently your ISP DNS server is so fast because it caches DNS entries longer than it should. The DNS entries are supposed to expire in 1 day, meaning they should have expired yesterday. However, some DNS servers maintain cached records longer to reduce overhead. It will eventually expire them and get the right nameserver.

Regardless, I updated the files on the old server now, so it will work no matter which server you hit.

airborne

Hotrod

I just tried out the automatic update from .17 to .19 it worked like a charm. I didn't even see the tray icon blink. Seamless and smooth  8) good work JC  ;D

If all goes well you might want to add check boxes to allow the user to default to either update method. Also an option to set an update interval to make this truly a silent and automatic update.

Best regards,

Rod

Jeremy Collake

Glad it worked well ;). It took some time to iron out this system. It seems Murphys Law applied for a while, lol. I do intend to let users chose the update interval, which was 3 days but is now 2 days as of v5.0.0.21. I'll try to get to that some time *after* I finally finish polishing v5 to where it should have been to start with *sigh*