Lassoing some cycles for 3D-Games

Started by PsyCho_BoZo, August 25, 2008, 04:30:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PsyCho_BoZo

Sorry if this is a duplcate post.  It said I posted but it never showed up in the forum.
I am a gamer that has a computer with 2 cores (AMD x2 64 5000+) running Windows XP 32bit.  I play many games that do not use both processor cores (Half-Life based DOD 1.3, TF2, DOD Source and other games).  The games end up maxing out one core and occasionally lagging.  What I would like to do is put all normal processes on core "0" by default and have all games start up on core "1" everytime I start them.  I also do not want Lasso to detect the games as run away programs and limit or shut them down.  Is this possible/practical with this software?
I am asking instead of trying it first because I have had bad experiences with software utilities in the past.  I do not want to have to spend 15 hours reinstalling/re-configuring my PC/games (again).
If this works well I will spread the word to my fellow gamers that are having the same issues.
Thanks for the software and the help.

Jeremy Collake

Thanks for your inquiry. I understand your concern about installing shareware. Don't worry, Process Lasso is well behaved. It won't break anything.. unless you told it to I guess ;).

It will do everything you want. The first thing you will want to do is exclude your games' processes from restraint. You can do this a number of ways, but the easiest may be right-click on the game process and selecting 'Exclude from restraint'. You can also just add them to a list of exclusions instead of right-clicking a process name.

You can then adjust the default CPU affinities (which cores a process can use) the same way (right-clicking on their process names, or using the config dialog). You can set certain processes to run only one whichever cores. I recommend leaving the system services alone, unless you have a need to tweak their default affinities or priorities.

Process Lasso really should do just what you want... please let me know how it goes if you try it. Also, let me know if you have further questions.

Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.

PsyCho_BoZo

It works great.  I have recommended this program to many gamers with dual core processors.  They have all had good luck with it.  Thanks to everyone who has made and keeps making this a good program (including all the forum jockey's who help support it).  Good job guys (and gals) and thanks.  I will be making a donation to the project and will encourage others to do so as well.

My website ( http://red-legion.com ) is for my gaming clan (covering DOD 1.3, DOD Source, Counter Strike, Team Fortress 2, and etc...)  We have a computer help section on our forums.  Is it "OK" for me to put a link to this site/forums with a brief description of the program for others to use?  I will link to the website not the download of course.

Jeremy Collake

Great, thanks for the recommendations and donation :). You are certainly welcome to post any links to this site, and/or download links to the free version of Process Lasso.
Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.