Problem with processgovernor

Started by Screemer, November 10, 2008, 04:17:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Screemer

Hi, the latest versions have shown error when trying to install processgovernor as service.
The latest version is uninstallable for me.

I am running a Vista x86 on this machine and I get almost the same problem on my Vista x64 machine at home.
I get the same error but I managed to install it somehow.

The error I get is:
There was an error while attempting to install or uninstall the process governor service Please press OK and go back and try a different configuration.

I have tried to install it on a local account and on my domain account.
If I install it using system account it works and I can then go in in service manager and change the login for it to my domain login user.

Any idea why this has started in the latest builds? And does anyone else experience the same problem or are my computers screwed up?

RDMTECH

Jeremy Collake

Thanks for the report. I am investigating this issue. I will post updates here.
Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.

RDMTECH

I've been encountering this issue quite frequently.

I can't install the service using any credentials other than the system logon account.  If I could install as the admin that would save me one step when I deploy a new version.

Please advise.

Jeremy Collake

I'm working on that right now actually. I am extending the error codes returned from MakeService so the precise error will be shown. I still haven't determined when or why such cases happen, but hopefully this will shed light on it. It will be in v3.27 beta 2, whenever I upload it (maybe later today).

RDMTECH

Cool.....thanks for the update.

I hope you had a good holiday....I just pulled out of my food coma.   ::)

Jeremy Collake

Yea, I had a pretty good holiday. Hope you did too.

I added the extended service error information to beta 2, released yesterday. It'll show you the exact error code, including the system text associated with the error code. This will be the first step in figuring out what's going on. Please, if you see this problem again, let me know what it tells you. It may or may not be useful.

Jeremy Collake

Any feedback available about this? Has this error been seen more?

RDMTech: Btw, I'm adding your requested feature of context menu instance limit management.

RDMTECH

Sorry about the delay....I've been slammed lately.

I noticed that I can't run the service as a domain user  e. g.  'domain\administrator'.  It tells me that the user doesn't exist.

Quote(0x00000421): The account name is invalid or does not exist, or the password is invalid for the account name specified.

I work around this by modifying the service manually.

Thanks for the instance limit context addition.  This will save me tons of time!!!

Jeremy Collake

Ah, thanks for the additional clue .. that should nail it ;).

I am pushing out a new final version right now. I'll get to fixing this in the next beta series.

Jeremy Collake

Oh.. one more thing: I do still plan to add the detection of cases where the number of current instances of a process is greater than a newly configured limit - it is on my list ;).

RDMTECH

How's it coming with the service log on issue?

I'm running into instances where the process doesn't start even after I've updated the log on account.  Then when the admin logs out the service stops and when I log back on I get the message box telling me the service couldn't start.

I've been manually changing the log on account to the domain admin.  Should I be using a different account?

Jeremy Collake

I honestly haven't got to fixing it yet. I'll try to get to it resolved today or tomorrow.

After manually changing the service config, it should function ok. I'll have to also look into why it fails to start under certain circumstances. I don't have a ready answer for why that would occur ;(

RDMTECH

No problem.  So far the service has only stopped twice that I'm aware of.  I'm in the process of setting up a monitor to alert me when the processgovernor service stops.  Maybe that will shed some light on the issue.

Jeremy Collake

I've got the domain user login issue fixed here. I'll release a new beta (or maybe final) some time today. Sorry it took me so long to get to it. I'll post here when the new version is up and you can give it a try at your leisure.

I'll look into the service stop issue today as well and see if I can figure out what is going on. Am I correct in that you don't see this happen every time the administrator logs out? It could be another issue with the GUI, we'll see.

Thanks

Jeremy Collake

Ok, v3.35.0 beta is now available for download. You'll need to utilize a full UNC path to the user for non-local accounts. Also, I haven't tested the changes well (doing that shortly), so there is some possibility it still doesn't work right in this beta.

RDMTECH

I just downloaded and installed 3.36.1 (32 & 64bit) and I'm still having issues configuring the service for a non local user account.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong?  I'm entering the user as 'domain\user' then the password, but it keeps giving me error 0x00000421:  The account name is invalid or does not exist, or the password is invalid for the account name specified.

Any ideas?

Jeremy Collake

I'm sorry, I made a mistake in the string parsing. I see it clearly here, and am correcting it for v3.38 final.

RDMTECH

I have successfully installed the x64 version using a non local account, but it isn't working for the x32 version.

RDMTECH

I have successfully confirmed that I am an idiot!  :'( 

It's working....I had a typo!

RDMTECH

I did notice that on a couple of servers I was getting this error in the application event log:

Faulting application processgovernor.exe, version 3.3.7.0, faulting module processcontrol.dll, version 3.3.6.0, fault address 0x0001e89a.

Any ideas?

k4

When the P Lasso run under Vista 32 I have a problem.  When the system is in idle state after two hour later I got a Blue screen of death. But under Xp there is no problems, Why’s that?

Jeremy Collake

Quote from: RDMTECH on January 08, 2009, 02:00:52 PM
I did notice that on a couple of servers I was getting this error in the application event log:

Faulting application processgovernor.exe, version 3.3.7.0, faulting module processcontrol.dll, version 3.3.6.0, fault address 0x0001e89a.

Any ideas?

Hmm... that is strange. I'd definitely like to determine the cause of that. I'll take a look at the code at the address provided and see what code is faulting, and issue an appropriate fix. Thanks for reporting this.

Jeremy Collake

Quote from: k4 on January 09, 2009, 02:37:35 AM
When the P Lasso run under Vista 32 I have a problem.  When the system is in idle state after two hour later I got a Blue screen of death. But under Xp there is no problems, Why’s that?

Whatever the problem you have with Vista, it is almost certainly not related to Process Lasso since Process Lasso has no kernel mode code at all (the only thing that could cause a BSOD). It is most likely a problem with one of your device drivers. The BSOD may only manifest rarely, or under certain system conditions. Given that it seems to happen in an idle state, I'd check the power management settings. Maybe one of your devices isn't handling the transition to power save mode very well. Anyway, this is a general problem, not one of Process Lasso.

Jeremy Collake

Quote from: RDMTECH on January 08, 2009, 02:00:52 PM
Any ideas?

Assuming this was the x32 build, the faulting code is part of the crt memcpy function. There are only a few direct calls to it within the process control library, so I can hopefully narrow it down to a few possibilities... assuming the offending call wasn't from another crt function.

I'll keep looking for possibilities. If you notice any clues, please let me know.

Thanks

RDMTECH

This was the x32 build.

I'll keep looking on my end.

Thanks!

k4

Thank you for your opinion. I´d like it P Lasso.  I’m using P Lasso in Xp without any problems. However, I think, that maybe the Lasso have not make a trouble individually, but with antivirus program together. Is there any information that the Lasso not working with any known application?

Jeremy Collake

Quote from: k4 on January 10, 2009, 08:19:21 AM
Thank you for your opinion. I´d like it P Lasso.  I’m using P Lasso in Xp without any problems. However, I think, that maybe the Lasso have not make a trouble individually, but with antivirus program together. Is there any information that the Lasso not working with any known application?

No, there's no known incompatibilities. I really can't imagine how it would cause a BSOD, even through bad interactions. The fault would be with the other program, as Process Lasso doesn't do anything that tricky with the system. I recommend uninstalling Process Lasso and see if the BSOD continues. If you see the BSOD again, then you can take Process Lasso out of the equation.

k4

Thank you for your advice. First at all I just shut down The P Lasso and I notice that the BSOD does not show up. My opinion is that on some way firewall to prevent action of P Lasso or that some conflict between them. I have Outpost firewall and Bit defender 2009.

k4

However I uninstalled Outpost firewall, but not Bit defender. The problem with BSOD remain. Than I uninstalled Bit defender 2009 and there no  more problems. It s looks like that Bit defender course a problem with P lasso. However I hope so, that developer of p Lassso figure out why and remove problems. :)