Bitsum Highest Performance Mode vs Ultimate Performance mode

Started by empleat, June 06, 2020, 09:27:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

empleat

Hello,
is there any difference between Bitsum Highest Performance Mode and Ultimate Performance mode. I prefer Ultimate Performance mode with disabled idle saver, because i heard microsoft made it to eliminate micro stutters. It feels there is less input lag than using High Performance mode with same setting. I know there are many more hidden power plan settings. I don't know all what they do. I tried unhide some and i had already set them to max. But anyway i wanted to ask, if there are some more hidden power plan settings. Or if i use Ultimate Performance mode with disabled idle saver, my cpu already works at maximum potential.

Thanks!

edkiefer

Quote from: empleat on June 06, 2020, 09:27:03 PM
Hello,
is there any difference between Bitsum Highest Performance Mode and Ultimate Performance mode. I prefer Ultimate Performance mode with disabled idle saver, because i heard microsoft made it to eliminate micro stutters. It feels there is less input lag than using High Performance mode with same setting. I know there are many more hidden power plan settings. I don't know all what they do. I tried unhide some and i had already set them to max. But anyway i wanted to ask, if there are some more hidden power plan settings. Or if i use Ultimate Performance mode with disabled idle saver, my cpu already works at maximum potential.

Thanks!
Hi, No, that is more a marketing thing from MS. Last time I checked the Ultimate power plan, all it was was a default HP with sleep disabled for HD's. You can easily check yourself in the registry as what it adds to an HP overlay power plan.
Anyway, use the BHP as a base plan with whatever settings you want to add/alter for your specific conditions.
Bitsum QA Engineer

Jeremy Collake

Your have achieved the best you'll get with Bitsum Highest Performance, or Ultimate Performance.

'High Performance' normally has core parking and frequency scaling enabled. Bitsum Highest Performance disables those, as does Ultimate Performance Mode. BHP starts with a cloned copy of Ultimate Performance, so is going to be virtually identical. Aside from core parking and frequency scaling being disabled, there isn't any special magic in Ultimate Performance.

In creating Ultimate Performance, Microsoft essentially copied what we were already doing with Bitsum Highest Performance.

I don't recommend additional tweaks to your power plans.
Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.

empleat

I disagree, i tested it thorougly and using Ultimate Performance Plan with disabled idle saver and core parking and 100 min. cpu state and disabled usb power saving - mouse feels much more snappier, than using any other performance plans with same settings. E.g. if i switch to Ultimate Performance plan from High performance plan, mouse feels more snappier and responding more quickly to smallest movements. It it especially apparent on small movements, when i want mouse move about 3 pixels. It instantly moves. Whilst using other performance plan, it is more sluggish. Also i do a lot of mouseaccuracy.com tests, where you have to rapidly click dots. It makes huge difference there, you can see mouse responding much more quickly. There is input lag ab test on blurbusters forums, which can let you split screen at 2 halfs. One with more input lag and you can test yourself, how much of input lag you can discern. I was able to tell even 6ms of difference, i am very sensitive to these things. Isn't it possibile all settings aren't simply listed in registry, or Windows does something, when this power plan is active ?

That's the thing i don't know, if there any more hidden settings, that affect cpu performance and input lag. That's why i was asking. So if i have cpu min. state on 100 and disabled idle saver, and core parking, that's it right ?

EDIT: strange, Ultimate Performance power plan feels much better than Bitsum High performance plan set to same settings, all above mentioned. And i am not imagining it, i can tell 6 ms difference in input lag, tested myself see above.  And i was supreme master class in cs go and i am very sensitive to this!

Unico

Translated message.
See your post i have tried it too, and I agree with you, but the difference between the two settings is not in itself.
I found that the difference lies in the "difference of the parkcontrol cpu management", putting in both the same perkcontrol settings the result is identical, both for better and for worse.
Strangely the "high performance windows" management, even if less performing as calibration in the assay, have the best low "input-lag" and is more fluid and reactive.
I respectfully confirm.

edkiefer

I have double and tripled checked, there is nothing in ultimate power plan that can do anything..

All the settings are stored in the registry so that is where all settings are.
Bitsum QA Engineer

Unico

The input-lag is also subject to various factors of the hardware used, also in the context of the video card and the type of monitor, not having all a standardized machine, there are not the same results.
In the current question the problem is not so problematic, instead of using Bitsum Highgest Performance we use that of Windows.
Also to leave it always active, only when really power is required this is actually supplied, for me personally it is not a big problem.

Coldblackice

Quote from: empleat on June 07, 2020, 10:58:23 AM
EDIT: strange, Ultimate Performance power plan feels much better than Bitsum High performance plan set to same settings, all above mentioned. And i am not imagining it, i can tell 6 ms difference in input lag, tested myself see above.  And i was supreme master class in cs go and i am very sensitive to this!

Quote from: Unico on July 26, 2020, 03:02:03 PM
Translated message.
See your post i have tried it too, and I agree with you, but the difference between the two settings is not in itself.
I found that the difference lies in the "difference of the parkcontrol cpu management", putting in both the same perkcontrol settings the result is identical, both for better and for worse.
Strangely the "high performance windows" management, even if less performing as calibration in the assay, have the best low "input-lag" and is more fluid and reactive.
I respectfully confirm.

Can you two do a test? There's a tool that measures DPC's called "DPClat". You can download it here (and virus-check it on any reputable virus scanner to prove it's safe):

https://www.thesycon.de/eng/latency_check.shtml

There's also this tool: https://www.resplendence.com/latencymon

Run this tool while you're on one power profile, and then run it when you're on a "better" profile. And then with a reboot in between changing profiles. Are there any differences between DPC's?

My hunch is that any perceived differences are merely placebo effects. That being said, is there a way to do a diff-comparison on the power plans to see exactly how they differ on a byte-per-byte level?

The only possibility for any differences I could imagine might be if some programs or drivers are programmed to check the currently-set power plan and if it's not "High Performance" or "Ultimate Performance" -- aka default Microsoft core profiles -- then it assumes X/Y/Z and doesn't go full-throttle on whatever function or utility it runs. But I doubt this would be the case. It would basically be looking for hardcoded-named Microsoft default power plans, and then limiting performance if it doesn't see those enabled, which I think would be bad programming and probably wouldn't happen.

I'm curious though to see a byte-comparison between profiles to see if and where they differ. Perhaps there could be a bug in Windows power management that's affecting drivers/DPC when using non-default power profiles.

Coldblackice

I just realized something -- in the "Bitsum Highest Performance" plan, the setting "USB Selective Suspend" is enabled, however, on "High Performance" plan, this setting is disabled.

Perhaps this could be a source of the differences the two people above are experiencing given that they seem to be tied to USB? Just a possibility.

Is there a reason BHP keeps this setting enabled? Is there any use or harm in disabling it?

edkiefer

Quote from: Coldblackice on October 08, 2020, 11:58:47 PM
I just realized something -- in the "Bitsum Highest Performance" plan, the setting "USB Selective Suspend" is enabled, however, on "High Performance" plan, this setting is disabled.

Perhaps this could be a source of the differences the two people above are experiencing given that they seem to be tied to USB? Just a possibility.

Is there a reason BHP keeps this setting enabled? Is there any use or harm in disabling it?
USB Selective Suspend is by default set to enable for all default MS Power plans, even Ultimate Performance.

"The USB selective suspend feature allows the hub driver to suspend an individual port without affecting the operation of the other ports on the hub. Selective suspension of USB devices is especially useful in portable computers, since it helps conserve battery power"

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/drivers/usbcon/usb-selective-suspend
Bitsum QA Engineer

Jeremy Collake

BHP starts from a clone of 'Ultimate Performance', if it exists (it may be hidden). If it doesn't exist, then 'High Performance' is cloned. From there the *only* modifications are to disable below base CPU frequency scaling and CPU core parking. The USB selected suspend setting is not altered by Process Lasso.

I don't have any additional guidance on whether you should enable or disable USB selective suspend.
Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.

edkiefer

The main reason you see this option mentioned or used is for a workaround of a USB2 device that loses connection from the system (goes to sleep and never wakes up). Disabling this option through power plan or Device manager stops the idle condition, but at a cost of more power usage.

Probably not an issue on desktops but may matter on laptops.

Here one example link.
https://www.windowscentral.com/how-prevent-windows-10-turning-usb-devices
Bitsum QA Engineer

Coldblackice

Quote from: Jeremy Collake on October 09, 2020, 09:53:05 AM
BHP starts from a clone of 'Ultimate Performance', if it exists (it may be hidden). If it doesn't exist, then 'High Performance' is cloned. From there the *only* modifications are to disable below base CPU frequency scaling and CPU core parking. The USB selected suspend setting is not altered by Process Lasso.

I don't have any additional guidance on whether you should enable or disable USB selective suspend.
Quote from: edkiefer on October 09, 2020, 10:41:09 AM
The main reason you see this option mentioned or used is for a workaround of a USB2 device that loses connection from the system (goes to sleep and never wakes up). Disabling this option through power plan or Device manager stops the idle condition, but at a cost of more power usage.

Probably not an issue on desktops but may matter on laptops.

Here one example link.
https://www.windowscentral.com/how-prevent-windows-10-turning-usb-devices

Thanks. I don't have issues with any of this myself, was just trying to make some sense of the two guys above perceived differences between plans, if there legitimately are any differences and if so what those could be. Seems that the most likely scenario is that this is a placebo.