v5.1 final release thread

Started by Jeremy Collake, November 18, 2011, 10:39:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeremy Collake

I am missing my 18th deadline, because there is more to work on. Of course, the beta is there for anyone who wants it 'now'.

I've received an updated Russian translation, which is important since he is the last to use the old RC style format that must be in 100% sync.

Other translators have also updated their work.

All that remains is a few more items and continued regression testing on all platforms. I am investigating at least one.. frustrating.. bugs, but still anticipate to be finish at any moment.

Anyone who buys Process Lasso now will of course have access to this new version. If you buy a Lifetime license you'll have access to all future versions. Of course, even for standard licenses, we limit upgrades by time elapsed, not version number, and always give the option to go back to an older version.
Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.

Jeremy Collake

v5.1.0.19 will be the final build. There are only a few things left I'm looking into. While my total TODO list is much larger, this is a fine and stable build. I anticipate release within hours.

I've already corrected a few minor things in v5.1.0.17 during code review and regression testing. We are absolutely going final though, as we are to that point.

Jeremy Collake

Darn good thing I am testing fairly good before release ;). The Energy Saver would not even work unless you had happened to have a default power profile in place for an application, due to a copy&paste accident. I'm finding numerous little things, but that is what testing and code review is for. I'm releasing v5.1.0.17a beta, then will continue testing and code review - going final ASAP.

Jeremy Collake

The final build has been uploaded, though announcement of it may be delayed a slight bit of time. Some translations need last minute updates, and I need to compose the revision history, etc.. etc...

Jeremy Collake

Note that some countries are not yet going to receive the update push. If you are one, do not worry, you will not be far behind ;). The ones who will have to wait the longest for the update push are those in Central European German speaking countries and Japan, where I have corporate resellers. Well, had in the first case. We will soon have an independent German translator who will be more responsive to quick updates and I believe a better fit for Bitsum.

edkiefer

Sounds good , all went fine with auto update . One thing I noticed , I read/saw you had 2 releases from my last update (5.1.0.16 ) .
When I hit the auto-update button, the updater pop-up window showed 5.1.0.17 being installed but really was 5.1.0.19 . Mean it didn't list what it installed at end .

Is there a list of future features you plan to bring on 5.2 (or whatever next beta's/versions is) ?
Bitsum QA Engineer

Jeremy Collake

I believe I know what happened in your case, it was showing you the latest beta version #. This is a known issue with my database code, I will fix it. Thanks for reminding me.

This build seems very smooth to me, I'm glad I finally got the coding stretch I needed to get it done. I was saddened to see that Energy Saver was useless in the previous betas, for the most part. Sure, that's what betas are for, but I really must do better with them. I don't know if I ever will though, I am always so eager. Perhaps it is simply best to recognize that betas are betas.

Regardless, now we are final ;). Well, half the world anyway. Some of the world I am waiting to push updates out until translations are updated, or in the case of the Germans, until that agreement terminates, *and* we have a new German translation created from scratch. This is something already being worked on. They will have to wait a bit more. Japan is similar, they will have to wait, as I must explore the update system and make sure it is perfect so I do not screw with the corporate reseller there. That is why I love the arrangement I have with my individual translators, instead of profiteers. Plus, individuals tend to care about the product more.

Tarnak

I went through 2 update cycles yesterday, and 2 more today.  The final release, v5.1.0.19 is running fine.

I still have a couple of other snapshots to update in the next day or so.

Regarding the Energy Saver, I don't think that will benefit  someone like me with a desktop, that is rarely switched off.  ;D

Jeremy Collake

Quote from: Tarnak on November 19, 2011, 09:29:29 AM
Regarding the Energy Saver, I don't think that will benefit  someone like me with a desktop, that is rarely switched off.  ;D

I never turn my PC off, but it benefits me. I changed Balanced profile to NEVER SLEEP. Then I run in High Performance, and have Energy Saver drop me to Balanced when I go idle. I have a watt meter that shows extreme savings in electricity by doing this. This is for those who demand max performance mostly, but still want to save a little electricity. Balanced mode is supposed to scale up to meet demands, but it is not quite as fast as High Performance profile (by default config).

Tarnak

I just had a look at Options > Power, and the only choice I have to make is 'Configure No Sleep processes'.

The other two choices are grayed out. I suppose that is how it supposed to be?

edkiefer

You on XP like me ?

New power saving options are only for newer OS .
Bitsum QA Engineer

Jeremy Collake

Yea, I should add support for XP I guess... or maybe should have. It is a whole different system though.

Tarnak

Quote from: edkiefer on November 19, 2011, 09:53:12 AM
You on XP like me ?

New power saving options are only for newer OS .

Yes...SP3, but I was still on SP2 until earlier this year when I had to replace the motherboard.

Quote from: bitsum.support on November 19, 2011, 09:54:51 AM
Yea, I should add support for XP I guess... or maybe should have. It is a whole different system though.

I wouldn't bother since XP is getting long in the tooth, and besides my system was custom built in 2007, so I eventually will get another new desktop with whatever is  the current OS  ;)

Jeremy Collake

Quote from: edkiefer on November 19, 2011, 08:18:44 AM
When I hit the auto-update button, the updater pop-up window showed 5.1.0.17 being installed but really was 5.1.0.19 . Mean it didn't list what it installed at end .

I fixed this, btw. Yea, a little late, but ;p. Somehow, I simply made a mistake in the database entry. It had no other consequence, other than a *few* (those using the beta) seeing the wrong version # .. so not so bad.

edkiefer

Quote from: bitsum.support on November 20, 2011, 02:05:22 PM
Quote from: edkiefer on November 19, 2011, 08:18:44 AM

I fixed this, btw. Yea, a little late, but ;p. Somehow, I simply made a mistake in the database entry. It had no other consequence, other than a *few* (those using the beta) seeing the wrong version # .. so not so bad.
Good, I only posted it cause at first I thought it installed wrong (not latest) version . Then after trying update again I looked at help>about PL and found it was 5.1.0.19  :)

You can also see in log when it restarts, shows version there too .
Bitsum QA Engineer

Jeremy Collake

Note that I am issuing v5.1.0.20 BETA, which is a real beta, so don't be surprised if you see this ;). It is a rare interim beta to let some of my translators test their latest work.

Miroku4444

Do you have to manually update to get 5.1.0.19? Automatic updates keeps installing 5.0.0.52.

Jeremy Collake

Quote from: Miroku4444 on November 20, 2011, 05:53:31 PM
Do you have to manually update to get 5.1.0.19? Automatic updates keeps installing 5.0.0.52.

No... I've not heard or seen this problem in my test beds. Maybe it is something new. I am not sure. Do a manual upgrade if all else fails. I will look into potential causes. Sorry.

Jeremy Collake

This was apparently a script error in the new upload scripts. I am fixing it now. It will be v5.1.0.20 beta for now I suppose, but will quickly become v5.1.0.21 final anyway. It is the same code, just beta testing some languages. Thanks for pointing out this script error. I'm surprised you were the first to notice. The beta testers and I missed this because they subscribe to beta updates, so got the right build.

Jeremy Collake

Going ahead with v5.1.0.21 final to fix this error. It is the same thing, as I said, just with new German translation - and Germans are not notified of update yet.

Miroku4444

I upgraded to 5.1.0.19 manually. I checked it to save the configuration file when UN-installing, but it didn't. I had to manually add them back to the new configuration file. Thankfully i made a back-up of the old configuration file before UN-installing.

I was able to upgrade to 5.1.0.21 thru the automatic updates.  :) :)

Jeremy Collake

Hmm, I will evaluate why it didn't save your configuration file. Were you using the default locations, or global paths?  Of course, I always recommend everyone backup everything they don't care to lose under any circumstances.

Yes, updates should all be working good now. I had a heck of a time uploading things to the server last night though. I don't know what was going on, but it took forever to get uploads 'right'. I'm also very glad I validate my uploads after doing so, else I'd not have caught these errors.

Miroku4444

I was using the default path. Didnt change anything.

Jeremy Collake

Quote from: Miroku4444 on November 21, 2011, 10:55:54 AM
I was using the default path. Didnt change anything.

Ok, thanks. Probably a bug in my scripting of the installer somewhere. Honestly, NSIS has gotten a little long in the tooth and unmaintained. I am seriously consideriing just writing my own custom installer/uninstaller - like many companies now do. NSIS has some known bugs that have caused me considerable pain, and other compatibility issues I've had to use plug-ins to work around. To make matters worse, it is so abused by malware authors that it has a lot of False Positives by poorly written security software.

That said, NSIS is great, open source, and served me well for a decade. So, hard to say much bad about it. For those who care, I use the UNICODE port of NSIS, which may have its own little quirks not present in the main branch (or not). This bug is my fault I'm sure, not theirs, just rambling because it is easier and safer for me to code the install/uninstall in C++ than script it in NSIS.