What settings can I change in process lasso to improve battery life?

Started by shaun8787233, September 06, 2023, 10:51:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shaun8787233

What settings can I change in process lasso to improve battery life, I don't care about performance, I just want good battery life

Jeremy Collake

If you *only* want good battery life, without consideration for performance, then you should probably just set your PC to the most conservative power plan, either 'Power Saver' or 'Better Battery-life Overlay' (shown as 'Best power efficiency' in Windows Settings).

Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.

shaun8787233

I have already set them in the first place, but the energy consumption is still pretty high, it spikes up a lot due to the turbo boost.

edkiefer

Quote from: shaun8787233 on September 07, 2023, 02:01:11 PMI have already set them in the first place, but the energy consumption is still pretty high, it spikes up a lot due to the turbo boost.
Use the windows power saver plan, as this plan limits boost speed to 75% on non-hybrid CPU.

What is your OS and CPU platform?
Bitsum QA Engineer

shaun8787233

edkiefer

Quote from: shaun8787233 on September 11, 2023, 09:20:13 PMWin 11, intel 1165g7, also having 12500h(4p and 8e)
Ok, so those are both hybrid systems, As I said above the default  "Maximum processor state Efficiency Class 1" of the P cores is set to 75% in the power saver plan (this is a hidden setting).
Now there is the "Maximum processor state" in the Windows legacy power plan setting and that one controls the E cores. If you wanted a lower boost on E cores too, set that to 75%.
Bitsum QA Engineer

shaun8787233

well both aren't hybrid, the i7 is 11th gen tiger lake. Anyways, how do you enable those hidden settings though?

edkiefer

Quote from: shaun8787233 on September 13, 2023, 02:19:30 PMwell both aren't hybrid, the i7 is 11th gen tiger lake. Anyways, how do you enable those hidden settings though?
You would have to use powercfg in CMD to unhide it.

To unhide
powercfg -attributes SUB_PROCESSOR bc5038f7-23e0-4960-96da-33abaf5935ed -ATTRIB_HIDE

To rehide
powercfg -attributes SUB_PROCESSOR bc5038f7-23e0-4960-96da-33abaf5935ed +ATTRIB_HIDE
Bitsum QA Engineer

edkiefer

Quote from: shaun8787233 on September 14, 2023, 12:14:22 PMHey, it didn't work. Can you recheck the command

I did try it before posting. You should see new option in advanced windows power settings.
Make sure you open CMD with Admin rights.
Bitsum QA Engineer

shaun8787233

Hey, I was looking for ways to disable turbo boost, and I found this regedit key which would enable or disable turbo boost using the power plan settings and it also seems to add the setting you were talking about. Here is the location if you need it: Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power\PowerSettings\54533251-82be-4824-96c1-47b60b740d00\be337238-0d82-4146-a960-4f3749d470c7

In this open the DWORD named "Attributes and change its value to 0

justaquestion

except never mind bitsum gave you a setting that's not even available in throttlestop. thats freakin awesome. im gonna save this page.

for the efficiency core setting set it to 100. for the power saving setting play around with different values and check them in taskmanager under cpu.

for example the cpu tab in task manager should show the clock speed of the p cores unless in windows 11 in which case I have no idea what it might show.

set the affinities of all your background processes to the e cores and have the p cores lower clocked and only run the one program you want to run. the idea isnt to focus on multitasking as that would diminish battery life. process lasso apparently labels the e cores when setting cpu affinities. set all system services except superfetch to the e cores. have superfetch set to use both the p cores and the e cores. have whatever task your currently running to the p cores. make the e cores control everything else.

you should be able to see the clock speed of the 12th gen cpu change by modifying the minimum maximum performance state especially if there the same thing essentially giving you a static clock speed. I actually wouldn't recommend using throttlestop. they don't yet have a feature for the e cores. however if they knew about this setting in windows they could easily get it to modify that register value from within the program. oh well. in any case 25 33 37 50 62 75 82 87 90 92 99 100. most of those are values where if you type those in the clock speed will change to a set value based on your preference. you should now have a super fast machine.

a program called throttlestop can do this. although its the opposite of its intended purpose. minimum/maximum processor state is a great setting and certain values correspond to particular clock speeds. however throttlestop has some advantages.

to use it.
enable performance mod and use process lasso high performance power profile

look up the cpu part of your processor and type the cpu name and then specifications look for the max tdp value.

under long power pl1 set that to the max tdp of the processor.

I prefer to disable short power limit pl2 you don't have to it's just what I prefer.

under speed shift set the multiplier to the same number. 22 min 22 max. 22 corresponds to 2200 mhz or 2.2 ghz.

this will set the cpu to use a static clock speed.

you can also set the long power limit to a value less than your max tdp. make sure disable controls is not enabled and make sure sync mimo is on.

justaquestion

hey edkiefer where do you find the maximum performance state processor power efficiency. If I ever get a new intel processor assuming they keep the e cores. Id like to be able to set the minimum performance state processor power efficiency. except you can't find the settings anywhere online.

edkiefer

You can just use the latest ParkControl to do this with advanced settings turned on. Pick P cores from the drop-down menu and set Freq Scaling to a value of your choice

Minimum processor state for Processor Power Efficiency Class 1

To unhide
powercfg -attributes SUB_PROCESSOR 893dee8e-2bef-41e0-89c6-b55d0929964d -ATTRIB_HIDE

To rehide
powercfg -attributes SUB_PROCESSOR 893dee8e-2bef-41e0-89c6-b55d0929964d +ATTRIB_HIDE

Manually Edit registry path "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power\PowerSettings\54533251-82be-4824-96c1-47b60b740d00\893dee8e-2bef-41e0-89c6-b55d0929964d"
Attributes = 2
Bitsum QA Engineer