WARNING to Asian and other users about DLL - Sync115Ext.*

Started by Jeremy Collake, May 07, 2012, 08:22:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeremy Collake

After analyzing minidumps and crash reports I've identified one 'culprit'. This is third-party software injecting a DLL into Process Lasso and inducing crashes (with the crash clearly reported as coming from their DLL). The crash is the fault of *that* software. Basically, it maps its DLL into ProcessLasso.exe's process address space, as many shell extensions do. That in itself is fine and very common. Unfortunately though, its code crashes from time to time. Guess who gets blamed? You guessed it. Me. I am not sure what this software is since I can't read the company or software name, but for more info Google Sync115Ext -http://google.com?q=sync115ext. UPDATE: It is an online disk service popular in Asia.

This company needs to have this interoperability issue reported to THEM for a proper fix. If it crashes in Process Lasso, it probably crashes elsewhere, as it is not like Process Lasso's GUI does anything particularly strange.

Until then, the options are:

1. *MAYBE* unchecking 'View / Show process icons' will help. This software may try to put 'overlays' on the icons.
2. Uninstall or Exit this online disk software.
Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.

Hotrod

http://systemexplorer.net/db/sync115ext.dll.html

Google translate ANY>EN yields :

This files belongs to product "115 synchronous disk" and were developed by company "Computer Technology Co., Ltd. of Guangdong rain forest the wind". This files have description "115 synchronized disks Shell Extension".

And since this site shows 7 different instances of this file, there may be others.

Jeremy Collake

Thanks Hotrod. My Chinese affiliate explained to me this is an online disk service, which matches what you found.

With luck, perhaps they will fix the issue... but you know how larger companies can be at times.

Jeremy Collake

Ok, guidance updated, and I rewrote my original post, as it was terrible to read. I posted more details in a separate area of the forum, but tried to 'dumb it down' a bit here and it came out terrible.

I know it is a hard concept to understand for non-programmers. Basically, applications that need to interact with the Windows shell (explorer) in a certain way do so by mapping a DLL into other processes on the system. Windows actually does this for them, it is a simple API call. Then *their* code is running within Process Lasso's process address space. I can't unload their DLL, or do much of anything except hope their code behaves. In this case, it doesn't. The only chance I have is to perhaps work around the issue by using a different mechanism to do whatever, if I can determine a specific cause of the crash within their DLL. It may be that it is not something I have any real possibility of fixing though. I am sure not going to patch their code at runtime, which would be the only 'advanced' option available.

Jeremy Collake

My current attempt to explain what DLL Injection is to the layman is here: http://bitsum.com/forum/index.php/topic,1399.msg6270.html#msg6270  .. I will improve upon it as I'm able. It's a very technical thing to try to explain, and I'm not that great of an educator, often using jargon that loses people.