Parking Cannot Be Disabled

Started by Toncey, August 31, 2014, 07:26:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toncey

This first occurred after I reinstalled Windows 8.1 Update 1.

"Error changing Profile Power parameters. You may have insufficient rights! Are you running as a limited user?" I'm running as administrator obviously.

Jeremy Collake

Hmm. At what point did you see this? Have you got ProBalance set to disable core parking?

I'm not yet sure of the cause, but I can guarantee you that there is no general compatibility issue with Windows 8.1.

Is this an English installation of Windows?
Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.

BenYeeHua

I just tested and it is working fine with latest update installed for Windows 8.1 Update 1, even with UAC enabled.
Maybe there are some Anti virus blocking it?
Did you tried "Run as Admin"?

Choccy

I've been having the same problem, tried running as admin, UAC is off, anti virus disabled (tried with it uninstalled too).

Any help appreciated.

BenYeeHua

Hmm...

How about you try using the Powercfg to disable it?
You can find the information at the "Changing Parking Settings Using PowerCfg" :)

https://bitsum.com/parkcontrol/

Choccy

.. forgot to mention I tried that.  When I go into the power options and try changing the percentage of "Processor performance core parking min cores" nothing happens, it just stays at 0%.

BenYeeHua

Hmm, so what is the error that it is showing when you are using PowerCFG?
And did your used some other Power Plan "optimizer" or similar software that disable core parking?

Choccy

As far as I'm aware I've not tweaked anything beyond what Piriform CCleaner does. http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner

The message I get from Process Lasso:
"ERROR Changing Power Profile parameters.  You may have insufficient rights! Are you running as a Limited User?"

BenYeeHua

So no error when you are running the PowerCFG?

If you can, you may use the Process Monitor to monitor the registry read/write, then do this again.
QuoteWhen I go into the power options and try changing the percentage of "Processor performance core parking min cores" nothing happens, it just stays at 0%.
It should show some clue about what happen.

But, be aware that it may contain sensitive information, if you want to export and upload to here, and it will be better if you know how to use Process Monitor, then check yourself, so you don't need to worry about sensitive information. :)

You should found some information about how to use it by using Google. ;)

Jeremy Collake

Is this computer used at work, part of a domain?
Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.