"Memory Priority" Changes On Its Own

Started by Matt, December 16, 2014, 11:26:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt

Hello kind folks...

I have Process Lasso Free v7.2, 64 bit, portable.

My OS is Windows 7 Home Premium, 64 bit.

It seems my Process Lasso is consistently altering my setting of "Memory Priority" for programs from "Always/Normal" to (again--on its own) "Always/None."

This problem began I'd say only a few months ago at most.

Does anyone have any experience with or knowledge of this particular matter, by any chance?

Thanks...   :)

edkiefer

If I understand you right . that is normal as normal is default .
If you never set it other than normal the current will be "normal" and always none .
If you set for example memory priority 3 , then current would be "medium" and always would be medium .
but many, most processes are normal , so if you had set it to other than normal and then back to normal, it will go to none as that is the default .

Hope that makes sense .
Bitsum QA Engineer

Jeremy Collake

Hmm, I'm not sure on this, but it's on my agenda to investigate. Seems strange. Thanks for the report.
Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.

bertie97

I was gonna post a msg on 'current' vs 'always'  but this may be related to this threads subject.

Basically I was encoding some video, set the encoder to high
priority class->current->high
left the PC alone; came back later & I find
priority class->current->below normal

I tested this a couple of times & found it would always revert unless I used the 'always' options.
I have assumed that this may be due to the idlesaver PM over-riding my 'current' option as this kicks in when I'm AFK for 10 secs.
I started wonder how persistent 'current' is.  I had assumed it was session related & that this would be lost on reset/reboot.

Unintended result or my failure to understand when current ceases to be current?

Jeremy Collake

IdleSaver PM won't affect process priority classes.

If it had been Lasso's ProBalance that made the change back to Below Normal, some default settings would have to changed, as it doesn't mess with any high priority processes by default. Also, it's action would have been logged.

I wonder if the application in question here is changing it's own priority class. Unless you have other non-default rules or Lasso config, this is most probable.

bertie97

Thanks for fast response JC
I don't think the app changed it's priority internally, & there isn't an obvious priority setting like some encoders have.  I will have to test it & see if it is obviously using an auto priority changer somehow.  It was the only thing running other than AV so it didn't need to mess...
Only looking at PL window revealed the changing of state, I was checking my don't sleep PC status at the time.
Test run & log review req'd I think.

Good to know idlesaver doesn't have any 'extra' impact, tho I guess I know you (& your code) well enough to trust that you wouldn't make a newb error like that, so a slap-upside-the-head for me  :-[  ;)

So how persistent is current?  Session (for that progs execution)?

edkiefer

I think he mean, it will stick till next reboot/restart of OS .
That is how it always worked for me, just like if you changed it in task manager .
Of course there no "always" option there, it current state only .
Bitsum QA Engineer

Jeremy Collake

Current means it makes a one time change. It doesn't enforce that change. So, that's why this change by some external actor (or the app itself) is allowed to occur.

Even if the app doesn't directly adjust it's memory priority, components of the OS (like SuperFetch) or the Multimedia Scheduler may do so.

bertie97

OK thanks, I had tried to find the specifics in the help, unsuccessfully.

Jeremy Collake

The help sucks. I've been slowly making dents in it in this week, but have a long way to go.

I now understand your confusion. You expected 'Current' to keep it that way until a reboot. Normally it would stay that way, but not if something else changed the memory priority (and it must have).

BenYeeHua

Hmm...
So, except using Forced Mode, this will not be workaround, right?

bertie97

Trying to keep help up to date with PLs developments cannot be easy.
The obvious down-side of so many features in such a complex little package is writing a manual that is 2x/3x the size of the prog  :D

Jeremy Collake

I actually wrote a 50 page book documenting all of Lasso. I just used pen and paper. It's on a yellow notepad. Sketches for screenshots.

May scan it soon. No OCR. It'll be the most unique docs you've ever seen ;).

Jeremy Collake

Quote from: BenYeeHua on December 21, 2014, 05:23:11 PM
Hmm...
So, except using Forced Mode, this will not be workaround, right?

Right, forced mode only applies to 'Always' (persistent) settings. So that is not useful here UNLESS the user wants to force that process to ALWAYS stay at that memory priority. Then he can use the Always setting, plus turn on Forced Mode at the bottom of the Options menu.

edkiefer

i am not following , always already forces it to be the setting you set it .

I don't even see forced mode, where is this ?
Bitsum QA Engineer

Jeremy Collake

Forced Mode is near bottom of Options menu. It causes persistent settings to be reapplied, even if they had been adjusted by some external actor.

edkiefer

in what menu, I am looking but can't find it (I am right clicking on process options ) ?

Edit; I found it, its not in process specific  option , it is in main menu option .
Bitsum QA Engineer

BenYeeHua

Yup, I also take awhile to find it, as it is not a good function to enable, I think. :)

bertie97

I think I may experiment with forced mode on that encoder, see what happens.  For something that is generally Fire-&-Forget PL sure has a lot of things to play with.  :)

I look forward to seeing some descriptive work on PL, 'artistic' or otherwise  ;)

Hotrod

I use forced mode without complication, but then I don't have alot of self adjusting processes. I think one thing to watch for is processes which will change themselves back to low priorities frequently and then be forced back to your settings. This would create a huge list of log instances and could actually become a problem. In this case you would be forced to allow that particular process to manage itself.

Jeremy Collake

There is a bug in the default memory priorities that may have an impact here.

I will release a new beta with the fix when I get to it, then a new final when it's verified.