Startup menu problem

Started by Richard1224, September 02, 2010, 10:23:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richard1224

I just installed PL 3.84.7.  After my next reboot, I noticed that my OnlineArmor antivirus had been removed from my startup list and was not in my taskbar. Luckily I noticed it and figured out how to change that in Process Lasso.  My main worry now is - since this was an automatic change, how many other processes have been removed from my startup list and why was it so aggressive in doing this?  Thanks for your help.

Scott

I don't think Process Lasso removed your OnlineArmor startup entry automatically.  I mean this in the same way I'd mean it if I said "I don't think the sun failed to rise yesterday."  Did you remove it manually, perhaps?

Jeremy Collake

Process Lasso makes no changes to startup entries other than its own. It also makes no changes to system settings, or anything else, without your explicit instruction. I don't have an explanation for how this occurred, but if you have any third-party software that manages programs that set themselves up to start at boot (e.g. anti-malware) it could be some bug with it.

Now, there could be some voodoo going on in your case that I don't know about, or maybe some really strange bug that I can't conceive of. I don't mean to be dismissive, as those are possibilities too. From a code stand-point, I just can't see how Process Lasso could/would ever remove any startup entry other than its own.

If this is something you can reproduce, then please come back here and say "Look again guys, you don't know everything after all", but also provide us with a list of the applications you have installed (just off the top of your head, or use HijackThis to dump your system info). If this is happening, it *must* be an interoperability issue with some other software on your system - perhaps your anti-virus or anti-malware software.
Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.