Install fail with Process Lasso v5.0.0.6 beta

Started by jgor73, May 23, 2011, 05:37:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jgor73

Tried to install the latest 5.0 beta on top of beta 4.09.57 and hit an error writing a temporary file.  Have screen copy of error.

Jeremy Collake

That is strange. Try rebooting your computer and make sure you do a full install of Process Lasso and aren't using the automated update.
Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.

jgor73

Jeremy,

I did that and also uninstalled the previous version but still got "Error writing temp file. Make sure your temp folder is valid".
I was also able to reinstall Beta 4.09.57 after this.  (Win7 Pro, 64 bit system).
                                                  John 

Jeremy Collake

Are you out of disk space by any chance? Whatever the problem, it sounds like something wrong with your system.

jgor73

No...Have plenty of disc space (450 Gigs left)...

Jeremy Collake

It could be your security, indexing, or backup software maybe causing access problems, though that's a stretch. Maybe file-system corruption. I don't know. Nothing has changed in the install process. I will keep an eye out for problems, but I haven't heard of anything like this before.

jgor73

It appears that I encountered a System/Registry error over the last few days.  Was able to get v5.00.06 installed after a recent Acronis backup recovery action.  Sorry....My bad.....

John 

Jeremy Collake

TfH

Quote from: jgor73 on May 24, 2011, 12:10:15 AM"Error writing temp file. Make sure your temp folder is valid".

I had that error once, but forgot to mention it.

Scenario:
I was in my "standard" account and PL was running. I switched to "admin" account and PL was still running on "standard" (didn't log out). When in "admin" account PL said there si update and i thought"cool, i update". And then i received that error.

Solution:
Logged out from "standard" and continued doing my maintenace stuff in "admin" account.

Jeremy Collake

Are you speaking of the automatic updater or manual updater? I will test both in limited user environments and see what I can discover. The thing is that the upgrader or installer always run with elevated rights, and even without elevated rights the temp folder should be fully accessible.

TfH

That was automated installer what caused my problem.

When there is a new update, i try to reproduce it.

EDIT:

v4 series

Jeremy Collake

TfH

I reproduced it:

4.09.56(beta)-->5.0.0.9(beta) 
There is problem on same scenario i poster earlier and same solution for this:

Other test i made on this same scenario.
5.0.0.6(beta)-->5.0.0.9(beta) no problem at all.

I can reproduce it on v4 series, but not in v5 series :)

Jeremy Collake

Topic split into new one about the ZoneAlarm work-around ...