Disabling core parking

Started by bertie97, August 10, 2012, 02:23:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BenYeeHua

Because we are not living in China with 100Mbps and a price for 1xxRMB/year !!!
Except the one who having 2 laptop+WiFi router with b/g/n support and transfer data between 2 of them everyday.
Then he will found the speed is cap at half of 150/300Mbps as they are fighting for it. ;D

And many company is using desktop rather than laptop :)
----
And about WiFi, the DPC delay also affect the gaming a little, but not much that you can aware of it.
Some people also facing PS/2/USB keyboard, mouse that causing stutter of the game too. ;)

PS:The WiFi(hardware) is too complex for a lot of people, they can't understand why a smartphone download at >1Mbps can affect whole WiFi network to 1k ms...

Jeremy Collake

Would you kill me if I said my home internet is 100Mbps downstream in the RURAL USA? ;p .. Happen to have the fastest cable provider in the nation, though they suck at everything else.
Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.

BenYeeHua

No, I will kill the Biggest ISP in Malaysia "TM" first. ;D
I can see any ads about fiber internet in the TV now, but don't see the services at here. :P
----
Bufferbloat?
I always facing this problem when connect to Planet Side 2 servers, because of the large delay between 2 hop and no packet loss.
----
The WiFi mouse/keyboard, except they start using some technology that has been using on the WiFi high end earphone to reduce interference.
This problem will still continue happen. :)

edkiefer

Quote from: Jeremy Collake on December 16, 2012, 10:15:19 PM
Would you kill me if I said my home internet is 100Mbps downstream in the RURAL USA? ;p .. Happen to have the fastest cable provider in the nation, though they suck at everything else.
Tht's pretty fast , what service is that and I assume its not basic .

here in NY LI we have optimum online which has better bandwidth than most area's but I just checked today and is 18.72Mbps for download and upload is 1.88Mbps . the DL seems from memory to be not great as I remember .
Edit: checked what others in my location and it says 27Mbps so seems it down at bit now, maybe storm has something to do as I know there swamped with repairs .
Bitsum QA Engineer

BenYeeHua

Quotebut I just checked today and is 18.72Mbps and upload is 1.88Mbps
And the delay is?
As you know, the delay is more important for browsing and gaming, and I will choose a low delay and at least 10Mbps service.
Because a low delay can decrease the required RWIM for full speed, and having a faster TCP slow start. ;)

edkiefer

if you mean ping, it was 5-7 ms , but that was off server test in my area .

but that depends on where I link/connect to , ping is generally low here .
Bitsum QA Engineer

BenYeeHua

Ya, 6 ms±1 is very low, but if the Internet is sharing with a P2P downloader user, it must be become very high, as the streams is full of p2p data.  :P

edkiefer

I can say from playing older game (ones that show pings to servers) I have no trouble with below 100ms at least in US .

The few newer games I just got don't seem to list pings, which I don't know why they don't .
Bitsum QA Engineer

BenYeeHua

For example, Planet Side 2, it is not showing the pings/delays.
But I has a 250±50ms for it, it works great until 500+ people in a zone, and it start lag as the download speed(50kb/s) has been cap/get by the p2p downloader user. :P

Jeremy Collake

Indeed, ping time is bigger than bandwidth these days since everyone (mostly) has the bandwidth. Here is how bitsum.com does: http://just-ping.com/index.php?vh=108.166.71.202&s=ping .

Which is pretty good - it took a long time to find a decent hosting company for a (now cloud) based pseudo-dedicated server. (dedicated IP in a VM)

edkiefer

that link shows 40ms to NY , Austin Tx is real low 7
Bitsum QA Engineer

Jeremy Collake

Yea, it is hosted in Texas. Still, considering that light only travels so fast, it is hard to beat most of those ping times given its location. Of course, that is what CDNs are for if you gotta do better. Anyway, I gotta give RackSpace the credit ;). My previous hosts were TERRIBLE by comparison. The Cloud also enables a lot of cool features.

EDIT: LOL, I am switching topics a 3rd time in this thread ;p.

BenYeeHua

Beijing, China:    Packets lost (10%)    1,022.3    2,343.3    3,196.5
CDN always not good for China. ;D
The China ISP always bring their user to CDNs US servers LOL. :P

Jeremy Collake

I expect one day China will loosen up, as it did with capitalism. At least you have an optimistic future.

BenYeeHua

But before that, they need to having a good parents first.
You know why it has to. :)
After the problem is solve, then a Open Internet.
You can't give them a item without a safelock, and make sure that they know how to using it, with the correct way.
(I know the "correct/wrong" is difference for difference person)
Except he/she is a smart person(or genius), and know how to using it correctly.
But most of them are not. :P

And this is why the advanced tools in PL is always has a "Stop now if you don't know what are you doing" :D
(But I think they will just ignore it and clicking on "Yes")
----
QuoteAt least you have an optimistic future.
We always can't know the future, except you are trying to "Back To Future" ;D
And I don't has an optimistic future, but we/I can try to create it. :)
----
Back to topic, I think there still have many thing like core-parking are getting ignore and they just saying "snake-oil, placebo, impossible".
Just like many people think, a faster Internet like 100 Mbps will defeat the 10 Mbps in online game.
I has seen before, many people having lag on online game, they will provide the speed not the latency first.
But as you know, the latency is the key, and the packet loss is the key too.
When I get 20 ms to 8.8.8.8(Google Dns), but I got 200 ms for the online game!!!
Same country, difference latency, difference ISP for the router/hops(it is Google ISP hosting the hops for Google Dns)
PS:The Internet thing is too complex, so I will stop typing it now. ;D

I will try playing with powerplans hidden setting more, as it might has something that has a affect like core-parking. :)

BenYeeHua

About why building/support the CDN on China is so hard.
http://www.pingwest.com/why-public-cloud-is-so-difficult-to-build-in-china/

PS:It is in Chinese, if you wanna know part of them more accurate in English, I can try translate that part. :)

bertie97

I see that whilst attempting to learn dry wall skills my CPU parking thread has gone even more wildly off-topic than ever.
(BYH, the red herring king, has something to do with it I suspect...)  :P
I have had issues with my SSD - may not be the fault of the SSD but I will be spending a few days tearing the PC apart/rebuilding/tearing apart/jumping up & down on parts/swearing/etc

I have thus dropped back to my HDD & done a couple of PL updates.
I find that suddenly the ability to edit the powersaver parking dialog no longer saves any setting.  The other 2 seem to be changing/updating as they should be.
I cannot enable CPU parking in the Powersaver option.
I am finding that on update PL dropped the default power profile to PS, which compared to my normal HP is a bit of a shock!  :o

Liking the dialog changes BTW.  Things looking quite nicely streamlined.

BenYeeHua

Ya, so the normal user can understand what is that functions. ;)
----
QuoteI see that whilst attempting to learn dry wall skills my CPU parking thread has gone even more wildly off-topic than ever.
(BYH, the red herring king, has something to do with it I suspect...)  :P
Yup. ;D
----
And there are some problem for the ParkControl, it can't control some powerplans profile and I don't know why.
----
QuoteI find that suddenly the ability to edit the powersaver parking dialog no longer saves any setting.  The other 2 seem to be changing/updating as they should be.
I cannot enable CPU parking in the Powersaver option.
If you changing it on the powerplans options, can it works?
If it can, just changing it on there, as it is the default tools on windows. ;D

chris635

Hi guys,

I've noticed after several reboots my core parking is re-nabled. I don't know if it is supposed to do this. I haven't checked after every reboot. I just noticed it a little while ago. Is the core un-parking feature in process lasso supposed to do this? I'm using an AMD FX 6100 6 core processor.

Chris
Chris

BenYeeHua

Nope, it is still remain disable, you can check the Event Viewer to find out which program changing it after you set it.
The Event ID is 12. ;)

chris635

Not sure what I did but it is holding now.

Chris
Chris

BenYeeHua

Great to hear that :)
And wish you has a Happy New Year. ;)

BenYeeHua

Time to update.
Every player with PlanetSide 2 know it is CPU bound game, when fighting at least 100+ people.
So I wanna test some change that can reduce the CPU time for it to rendering.
Most the tweak that I can get higher FPS is
UseFloat32Output=1
This guy fixed the sound problem, so you can set the MaxVoices=192 without any reduce of FPS, and get the most quality of sound.
But be careful, the reason that PS2 devs disable it is because they found some sound problem for some sound card.
ShadowQuality=0
RenderFlora=Off
Ya, this two are tested by most people, and all of them can get higher FPS, maybe the sun is causing the problem.
----
So I get like 20-30 Fps in 500+ fight, but it will lag(drop to 5-10 FPS) when I turning the mouse, so I think it might be the timer problem.
And I force windows to using HPET as the only timer, and yes this fixed the problem.
But it causing another problem, the GC time of the Firefox(Nightly) is increased.
Without forcing HPET, I can get <100ms at the <7xxM and 150ms~ at the >8xxM memory usage.
With forcing HPET, I only can get >100ms at <5xxM and >200ms at 7xxM memory usage.
And so did iGC, it increase from <15ms to <50ms.

So if you are browsing website when the iGC is happening, you will found the lag more easy.
----
And I also testing that, if I force the timer resolution to 0.5ms, what will happen.
Nope, It don't affect anything, PS2 or Firefox but...
In another game.
That game is 2.5D, and the game engine is working in 30 or 60FPS.
When the timer resolution is 1ms, I get 61-62 FPS without vsync.
When the timer resolution is 0.5ms, I get 60 FPS and sometimes 61 FPS without vsync.
I don't know it is a "good" thing for it or not, but it sound like the timer is more accurate for the game.
Maybe it prevent the game engine to speed up 1-2 FPS(1.67-3.33ms). ;D
----Increasing the information
Yes, I also disable the core-parking, which is more issues for a high-end i7 as they has more core/frequency, and will be seeing more 10-15 FPS without the setting about.
And changing the powerplans to forcing the max frequency will increase 1-5 FPS and might be less for a big fight.

About the multi-threads, yes, PS2 is using 4 core, but maybe the sound is using 3 of them.
One times I saw 4 core CPU usage is as high as 90% in a building that having at least 100+, with many of them is spamming the "Q" button. ;D
And about why they are having low CPU usage when in a big battle, it has been say in their forum.
Draw calls.
This is a good example for the reducing the draw calls.
http://answers.unity3d.com/questions/14578/whats-the-best-way-to-reduce-draw-calls.html
And that also explain why I found this.
[quote]TerrainQuality=5
ModelQuality=5[/quote]
It increase the model quality for far object, but it also means there are showing the same material & texture, which means reduced draw calls.
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3029182

But I think the Biggest problem is the light, which why I say sun.
[quote]Draw calls aren't related to materials, but shaders and light sources and other factors (forward rendering vs. diffuse, pixel lighting vs. vertex lighting, etc.). Forward rendering with the default diffuse shader requires a draw call for the object and another one for each pixel light, although it depends on the version of Unity...Unity 3.3 seems to have only one draw call in this case, with an additional call for each pixel light.[/quote]
http://answers.unity3d.com/questions/57506/2-draw-calls-per-mesh.html
So that why after we disable the shadow and get a big increase of performance, but it is still not good.
The draw calls is still higher in that game, as it is showing at least 50-100 people in front of you.

And far enough, I will stop at here and waiting their 30/1/2012 patch came out and see the FPS will be increase or not.
Because it is a MMOFPS, we need at least 60FPS for it. :)
----
TSC has a lower access time than HPET which pass through the data bus.
And the reason that using HPET when gaming is better, I think it is because the processor is processing the game data, so the TSC might be can't sync?
[quote]The time stamp counter in newer processors may support an enhancement, referred to as invariant TSC. Processors support for invariant TSC is indicated by CPUID.80000007H:EDX[8]. The invariant TSC will run at a constant rate in all ACPI P-, C-. and T-states. This is the architectural behavior moving forward.[/quote]
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/10921210/cpu-tsc-fetch-operation-especially-in-multicore-multi-processor-environment

You can asking more if you want, but I am just a person that collecting data.   ;)

Updated time:2013-1-15 3:14:08
I completely reset everything I know about it...
So I try not forcing the HPET again, changing every setting in the ini of PlanetSide 2, now it is complete 30-40fps in 500+ fight.
But it still need reopen to recover it after a few hours, as it will drop to 20 fps.
----
As I say before, it is draw calls and batch too many, as you need rendering 500+ people and the building.
The information can be getting from SOE forum-Quick Note on Optimization
By setting
UseFloat32Output=1
SampleRate=44100
Will complete reduce the block of sound on CPU, and I can see the same FPS by using MaxVoices=192.
GraphicsQuality=2
RenderDistance=1250.000000
ShadowQuality=0
UseLod0a=0
GpuPhysics=0
ParticleLOD=1
ParticleDistanceScale=0.450000
And keep other quality=0 will increase the FPS to 30-40FPS, if you are CPU bound.

Windows 8 also will increase some as It changed the way it use the TSC+HPET, and I don't know why...

Gamba

Quote from: BenYeeHua on October 22, 2012, 02:00:44 AM
Ya, so I am thinking why the HPET will affect the mouse movements, boot time and the FPS in the games. :)
Because the Nvidia website also provide a tools to check the accuracy of the QueryPerformanceCounter and related APIs too.  ;)

And the timer will change to 1ms when playing game, video(flash also include) music etc.

So, maybe it will getting a better result because the sync for TSC+HPET has some problem?

Yes it the right choice to utilise the tool provided by nvidia.

BenYeeHua

Quote from: Gamba on April 08, 2013, 08:18:27 AM

Yes it the right choice to utilise the tool provided by nvidia.
Ya, but sometimes it can't help as I am a gamer, it need some coding on the game. :)