SmartTrim with Itunes

Started by chris635, April 03, 2015, 01:59:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chris635

I have smart trim set to ignore Itunes. Smart trim runs every 15 minutes. I have been noticing when smart trim runs, weather it needs to trim other process's or not, there will be a slight "hic-up" or static interruption if you will. It happens very vast. I'm talking millisecond, you can miss it if your not paying attention (I take my music very serious lol! It is a big catalog). Can anyone else confirm this?
Chris

Jeremy Collake

That would make sense *if* it trimmed some other active process, that process might take a few milliseconds to recover the paged out RAM that is in active use.

BUT you saying the hiccup happens even when it does nothing makes me wonder... the SmartTrim dedicated thread is lean and mean, so that's not the issue.

The logging, that must be it. You can try disabling, just to see. I've tried to make the log as efficient as possible, but... we'll see. Maybe coincidence right now.

EDIT: Also, security software overhead could increase during SmartTrim activity and/or logging, so that could exacerbate any disruption.
Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.

chris635

Let me listen for another day or so, with smart trim turned off, just to make sure. Can we keep this thread active until then?
Chris

BenYeeHua

Why not? ;)
You may also use Windows Performance Toolkit(WPT) to record the DPC latency or something, but I think it is unnecessarily to use WPT except you has a lot of RAM and also a SSD. :)

chris635

This is weird  :o. I turned off smart trim to check...and it still trimed???
Chris

chris635

Checked the   .ini file and it is also set to false for smart trim enabled.
Chris

chris635

okay, I think it is the plug in container for firefox (actually using cyberfox..64bit, uses firefox profile)not smart trim. I think I need to not use cyberfox (no web surfing at all)to check for sure. But still, smart trim is disabled and still trimming.
Chris

edkiefer

Sound is very sensitive to anything system wide that accesses I/O or CPU . you'll have to do trial an error (closing processes) to see what is cause .

Oh, to answer smarttrim question , if you disable smarttrim, it still will log 0 trimmed processes .
Maybe Jeremy later can come up with another approach (no log ).

Edit : so smarttrim doesn't log you need to set periodic trim to no , so this line is 0 value
TrimIntervalInMilliseconds=0

that way no log get written .
Bitsum QA Engineer

chris635

Quote from: edkiefer on April 03, 2015, 04:48:51 PM
Sound is very sensitive to anything system wide that accesses I/O or CPU . you'll have to do trial an error (closing processes) to see what is cause .

Oh, to answer smarttrim question , if you disable smarttrim, it still will log 0 trimmed processes .
Maybe Jeremy later can come up with another approach (no log ).

Edit : so smarttrim doesn't log you need to set periodic trim to no , so this line is 0 value
TrimIntervalInMilliseconds=0

that way no log get written .

Smart trim is still trimming, it trimmed cyberfox when I had it disabled.
Chris

edkiefer

Did you disable via periodic time to no .
Also i had to restart PL for it to take (no logs ) .
Bitsum QA Engineer

chris635

Quote from: edkiefer on April 03, 2015, 05:45:31 PM
Did you disable via periodic time to no .
Also i had to restart PL for it to take (no logs ) .

No I had it set to 15 minutes.
A simple reboot fixed it. Smart trim is off and it is not trimming. The smart trim process itself is not even active.

I'll restart it, let it run for a while, then turn it back off and see what happens.
Chris

Jeremy Collake

Thanks Chris.

What I presume happened was that the SmartTrim thread did not get notified that you changed the configuration. I will debug this.

chris635

Smart trim is re-engaged and trimming. I will let this run for about 2 hours then turn it back off and see if the smarttrim thread gets notified.
Chris

chris635

Since this is the smarttrim itunes thread. I will check again for this as well.
Chris

edkiefer

seems the important thing is restart PL ,either options does stop smarttrim and logs .
Bitsum QA Engineer

Jeremy Collake

Restart the Governor, specifically. (Shut down core engine / Start core engine menu options). That causes the SmartTrim thread to reinitialize and reload the config.

edkiefer

Yes, whats odd, I have changed the ini time interval (smaller values for faster trims for testing ) and that works fine .
though i never tried 0 value .
Bitsum QA Engineer

chris635

After my reboot (my rig was running for 6 days  with out reboot), I don't notice the itunes problem now. So I cant really say it was a smart trim problem.
Chris

chris635

Jeremy,

Have you tested smart trim with out a pagefile? How would smart trim react to it?
Chris

Jeremy Collake

No, but that is not a recommended configuration for any PC.

If they had no page file, if Windows can be configured to operated w/o one, then the page-out would fail, and it wouldn't do any damage or cause problems. It'd just do nothing.

chris635

I turned smart trim back on for a while, then turned it off. It is still trimming. Looks the smarttrim thread is not getting the notification.
Chris

chris635

So I restarted the core engine and smart trim shows no activity while its disabled.

Edit: I'm set at 15 minutes when smart trim is enabled.
Chris

Jeremy Collake

Yea, it's on the list for the next minor update. Reasonably serious to not immediately get config update notification.

Next minor may come middle of next week for this reason, I don't like leaving any bug like this in the final build for long.

But I've also now branched the beta build from the final build, so the next beta series has begun -- where I can start getting aggressive again. All back-ports to 8.0 from here.

chris635

Quote from: Jeremy Collake on April 04, 2015, 02:53:27 PM
Yea, it's on the list for the next minor update. Reasonably serious to not immediately get config update notification.

Next minor may come middle of next week for this reason, I don't like leaving any bug like this in the final build for long.

But I've also now branched the beta build from the final build, so the next beta series has begun -- where I can start getting aggressive again. All back-ports to 8.0 from here.

For now, it's easy to just restart  the core engine if you decide to not use smart trim...3 seconds and done, but I know you, that's not good enough lol! As far as Itunes problem, I don't notice any more. I think I just needed a reboot.
Chris

Jeremy Collake

This should work better in all future versions. The reload of the config works, just not for a toggle of the feature on/off completely. During that scenario, there could be delays under certain circumstances. I won't bore you with details.