% Total Core Usage

Started by Hotrod, August 30, 2012, 05:40:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hotrod

This is my only box showing an empty % Total Core Usage frame. Admittedly this machine is slow, obsolete and RAM challenged(it will be my first trade out), but I thought others might be seeing this as well.

Jeremy Collake

Replacement reply.... Thanks for the report, I think we can figure this out.

This is likely due to two different sources used for the calculation. The one shown in the status bar is accurate. The failure of the per-core metric is likely due to a failure in the Performance Counters. When this is the case, the per-core usage is supposed to not be shown (window totally hidden). Have you made any tweaks to disable Performance Counters?
Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.

Hotrod

If I have I am not aware of it. Heck I'm not even sure how one does that.

Jeremy Collake

Ok, hold on while I continue to investigate how this might happen. There are only so many possibilities.

Hotrod

Let me know if there are any system configuration details I can give you to make it easier.

Jeremy Collake

Let me ask, has this per-core metric ever worked on this PC? I assume not. It surely has something to do with a failure in the Performance Counter subsystem, but I'll hold off on further speculation.

And if *anyone* else has seen this, please post here.

Hotrod

I don't think it has. This system crawls due to the hard to find 256 Mb RDRAM. You will notice the heavy load even though the system is actually doing nothing at all in my screen shot.

On a side note this would have been an total loss if I hadn't found your software. Now with a few seconds of delay between mouse clicks I can actually navigate the system files locally.

Jeremy Collake

Glad I retained XP support ;). VS2012 / VC11 dropped it, if you missed the story. They plan to return it in some pending update. Until then, I must use the VC10 build tools with VS2012. Sadly, I did drop W2K support, in the interests of everyone else having faster and better code.

Glad Process Lasso still runs on the machines it was originally designed to help most ;).

I am adding some new checks on the status of the performance counters that should tell us more. I will release a beta, as I have other work to put out there anyway.

edkiefer

Works here 6.0.0.98 on XP SP3 , I can't say I checked every version but since we had trouble with it around month ago , I do check it and has been working when i did .
Bitsum QA Engineer

Jeremy Collake

Quote from: edkiefer on September 01, 2012, 04:14:30 PM
Works here 6.0.0.98 on XP SP3 , I can't say I checked every version but since we had trouble with it around month ago , I do check it and has been working when i did .

I similarly have not seen this issue in my XP test beds, but they all have functioning performance counter subsystems. This simply has to be the issue... *unless* this is a non-English system, in which the per-core metrics shouldn't even be shown at all. Since I know Hotrod, I didn't bother asking if it was an English OS, as I'm sure it is. Why does it matter? Microsoft designed the Performance Counters to be referenced by name, and used the native language of the OS. Only in NT6+ did they add an API to allow use of English Performance Counter names on non-English systems. Otherwise, the performance counter names have to be translated, or otherwise resolved to their proper indices. That's why I have yet to bother supporting this display on non-English systems (a real shame). There are ways around it though, so I will be working on that as soon as possible.

Hotrod

I have 3 other XP boxes and this is working fine on those. Yes it is an English build. It was my daughter's old Dell tower. She gave up on it because it was so slow so I made it a file server. I do use it to do online troubleshooting when all my other boxes are down but this rarely ever happens. Is there some log or configuration I can send that would tell you what you need to know?

Jeremy Collake

[previous post redacted] Hold on and let me do some things before I send you on any wild goose chases ;).

The page I was going to send you to was http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc784382(v=ws.10).aspx FWIW though.. Problem is, I'm not sure which service to direct you to check.

Also there is this page: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb687433.aspx  ... You can see the subsystem I am focusing on, but not sure exactly where to point you, or for me to look (yet).

Jeremy Collake

I would be curious if perfmon works on this system.. with it, you can add the same counters that Process Lasso is trying to display. If it works to display the per-core (actually single CPU) %, then it is some problem with Process Lasso.

Hotrod

Is this what you mean?

Jeremy Collake

Yes ;). Thanks. Another piece of the puzzle, or clue rather.

Jeremy Collake

The actual performance counter used is \Processor(0)\% Processor Time , FWIW. I am wondering if this has something to do with the PDH helper DLL version installed on this PC.