News:

NOTICE: This forum is mostly an archive, though new posts are allowed. Registration may require manual admin activation. After registering visit https://bitsum.com/contact/ to request account activation.

Main Menu

Version 8 Beta Progress (v7.9 beta)

Started by chris635, March 04, 2015, 08:25:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

edkiefer

can't help with pop-up (what app is that, AV ? )

With smarttrim enabled you should see log entries even if no trim is taken .
Bitsum QA Engineer

chris635

Quote from: edkiefer on March 21, 2015, 07:06:01 PM
can't help with pop-up (what app is that, AV ? )

With smarttrim enabled you should see log entries even if no trim is taken .


Yes....this above.
Chris

Tarnak

Quote from: edkiefer on March 21, 2015, 07:06:01 PM
can't help with pop-up (what app is that, AV ? )

With smarttrim enabled you should see log entries even if no trim is taken .


That is SSM [System Safety Monitor] not longer developed, but was for XP...It tells me of changes that occur on my computer. Very useful, for me. ;)

Jeremy Collake

Quote from: Tarnak on March 21, 2015, 07:00:26 PM
OK...I have [just] enabled SmartTrim in my XP system...However, I don't know ift is doing anything, since I see no observable difference, enabled or disabled.

Check the Lasso log to see what it did (or didn't) do. You can use the edit box above as a filter, e.g. 'SmartTrim'.

Probably no perceivable difference on your system, or many systems. SmartTrim is only expected to ever illicit negligible positive future effects on performance (except in the edge cases when they aren't ;p). We've written about the RAM Optimization Myth here. However, users wanted control over how their RAM is utilized, and so if they are going to do 'trims', at least do it in a halfway intelligent fashion.
Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.

chris635

Quote from: Tarnak on March 21, 2015, 07:00:26 PM

OK...I have [just] enabled SmartTrim in my XP system...However, I don't know if it is doing anything, since I see no observable difference, enabled or disabled.

You should see something like this in the log.

Chris

Tarnak

OK...This is what happened from the logs...

Jeremy Collake

Looks right to me. In most cases, no RAM should be 'trimmed', thus it took no action - as opposed to taking action just to do something.
Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.

chris635

Quote from: Tarnak on March 21, 2015, 07:34:18 PM
OK...This is what happened from the logs...

So far smart trim doesn't need to trim based off settings. Try changing Minimum Process working set to something like 50 mb in the advance configuration and see if it trims any process's over that threshold.
Chris

Tarnak

 Since, I am just an ordinary user, and I think I am "halfway intelligent" ;...perhaps I need a 'SmartTrim for Dummies', type scenario.  ;)

chris635

Quote from: Jeremy Collake on March 21, 2015, 07:38:22 PM
Looks right to me. In most cases, no RAM should be 'trimmed', thus it took no action - as opposed to taking action just to do something.

And as Jeremy said above.
Chris

Tarnak

Quote from: chris635 on March 21, 2015, 07:39:16 PM
So far smart trim doesn't need to trim based off settings. Try changing Minimum Process working set to something like 50 mb in the advance configuration and see if it trims any process's over that threshold.

LOL... Are trying to confuse me? :)  It is all gobbledygook, to me.

chris635

Quote from: Tarnak on March 21, 2015, 07:42:37 PM
LOL... Are trying to confuse me? :)  It is all gobbledygook, to me.

Hope I don't confuse you. Look at these. Mine is set to 100 mb, but you can set it to whatever you like.

Chris

Tarnak

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the info...I will have to look more into it, since I am not a tinkerer. When, I go into the options of PL...and see the choices, I am a little overwhelmed, so I just prefer to let PL do it's thing in default mode.  ;) :)

chris635

Nothing wrong in letting Process Lasso work on default mode....it does it's job well that way too!  ;)
Chris

Tarnak

I just noticed that PL is no longer showing in my systray...

But, I get this from checking with Process Explorer....

---------------------------
Process Explorer Warning
---------------------------
No visible windows found for this process
---------------------------
OK   
---------------------------

Jeremy Collake

Are you using BitDefender, by chance?
Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.

Tarnak

No, but I am running  Emsisoft software, and I think they have a connection to Bitfender, recently...see Emsisoft Anti-Malware 9 released! - http://blog.emsisoft.com/2014/06/18/emsisoft-anti-malware-9-released/  Bitdefender is mentioned in that blog post.

P.S.  I am running PL, in four different snapshots, and some have EAM and/ or EIS.  So, PL is running under different environments, and results of PL may vary.

Jeremy Collake

Ok, thanks. Let's keep an eye on it for now. The final may recover better than the beta, or this may be a persistent problem. We'll find out through observation.
Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.

Jeremy Collake

.. and we're about to be at 7.9.9.73 beta as I try to go RC. Almost there, odds and ends. Going to take care of as many as I can, figure it's worth a few hours. When I get close to collapse, the build goes out.
Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.

chris635

Quote from: Jeremy Collake on March 21, 2015, 11:23:54 PM
.. and we're about to be at 7.9.9.73 beta as I try to go RC. Almost there, odds and ends. Going to take care of as many as I can, figure it's worth a few hours. When I get close to collapse, the build goes out.

I'm here waiting. Is there anything you would like for to check with 7.9.9.73?
Chris

Jeremy Collake

Nothing much. Just if you see anything broken, let me know. I still have a few odds and ends on my list, and I've added a couple strings for the translators at the last minute (may add a few more :o).

But I would pull the trigger now if I had to, it's a fine build.
Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.

Tarnak

Updated,  a few minutes ago...to 7.9.9.73 beta...No problem this time...I decided to shutdown the real-time shield in WSA, this time around.

Tarnak

 Latest details from log for SmartTrim...


chris635

Quote from: Jeremy Collake on March 21, 2015, 11:58:18 PM
Nothing much. Just if you see anything broken, let me know. I still have a few odds and ends on my list, and I've added a couple strings for the translators at the last minute (may add a few more :o).

But I would pull the trigger now if I had to, it's a fine build.

Does smart trim not show in the logs anymore even though there is nothing to trim? I have it set for 15 minutes and since 11:42pm when latest beta was installed, I don't see any smart trim activity in the log.
Chris

Jeremy Collake

If Gaming Mode is engaged, then it isn't acting. That is likely the change you are seeing?

This is the newly adapted checkbox related to SmartTrim and Gaming Mode. By default, it's OFF.
Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.

chris635

Chris

chris635

Chris

Jeremy Collake

Maybe some issue, I'll check it out, there's some new logic there I need to tweak a bit anyway.

I'd say we're about 10 hours from release.
Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.

chris635

We'll I'm good for about an hour or so.... ::)
Chris

chris635

Chris

Jeremy Collake

Logic inversion on that setting is what you were seeing. I'll have it fixed up in the next build, which is building now.
Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.

chris635

Chris

chris635

There it is.... 8).....It's working again!
Chris

Jeremy Collake

Quote from: chris635 on March 22, 2015, 01:09:21 AM
There it is.... 8).....It's working again!

Good to hear ;). Thanks!

Just added one of two licensing related dialogs. One more, then more code review and testing... then I press the button.

Knock on wood no problems I have to resolve.
Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.

BenYeeHua

Remember, don't push that button. 8)
Then that person will do it. ;D

edkiefer

running 7.9.9.77 beta and not getting any smarttrim even with both sliders down real low , way below running ram load and per-process .
"feels" like you got the add function working between slider but some issue with ram load% (but that is just a guess ).

We still got plenty numbers left 7.9.9.xx  ;D
Bitsum QA Engineer

chris635

Quote from: edkiefer on March 22, 2015, 08:54:33 AM
running 7.9.9.77 beta and not getting any smarttrim even with both sliders down real low , way below running ram load and per-process .
"feels" like you got the add function working between slider but some issue with ram load% (but that is just a guess ).

We still got plenty numbers left 7.9.9.xx  ;D

Mine is working based off of process working set at 100mb. I just doubled checked. I'll load up ram a little more to check again while keeping ram load below 25% (I have this set not to trim until 25%).
Chris

edkiefer

Odd , I have ram load min to 15% with perprocess amount to 86mb .

Game mode off .
Edit: even enabled "alow trim during game mode" and ini looks good with values .
Bitsum QA Engineer

chris635

Quote from: edkiefer on March 22, 2015, 09:31:41 AM
Odd , I have ram load min to 15% with perprocess amount to 86mb .

Game mode off .
Edit: even enabled "alow trim during game mode" and ini looks good with values .

I just checked it again.
Chris

edkiefer

ok, well since your seems to be working .
raise your top ram min load slider to say 50% , leave perprocess real low on second slider and see what happens (shouldn't get a trim) .
going to reboot PL to see if that changes anything , your running same version 7.9.9.77 beta , right ?
Bitsum QA Engineer

chris635

Chris

chris635

I do have 16gb in this thing. I don't really hit 25% unless heavy firefox tabbing or gaming.
Chris

chris635

Chris

chris635

Okay it just trimmed. I'll try the other way with the sliders now.

Chris

edkiefer

Ah, yes, I should of looked at your pic better .
That not right then IMO .

See what Jeremy says, he might want to fix that part after ver8.0 release .
not sure whats going on on my end, was trimming with last older  versions .
Bitsum QA Engineer

chris635

Trim triggered but did not trim, as you can see in the pic. I believe this is by design based of parameters Jeremy set it with. Even though you set ram load to a low percentage, smart trim will still not trim (although triggered) until certain criteria are meet. Adjusting the process working set to something of your liking, you essentially take some of the control away from smart trim, therefore trimming individual process's instead everything else. This is what it looks like to me. I could be wrong. Only Jeremy could clarify at this point as he has changed the logic around for full blown release of version 8.
Chris

edkiefer

Yes, well lets see when he gets back on that .

I tried enable "alow trim when game mode is engaged " but no trim events showed up in log , not even 0 trimmed .
I never tested this option before .
Bitsum QA Engineer

chris635

Quote from: edkiefer on March 22, 2015, 10:45:37 AM
Yes, well lets see when he gets back on that .

I tried enable "alow trim when game mode is engaged " but no trim events showed up in log , not even 0 trimmed .
I never tested this option before .

I'm sure how it is supposed to work. I noticed last night after some gaming, smart trim was trimming other process's, just not the game. I think if that option is selected, trim will not even get triggered.
Chris

edkiefer

Quote from: chris635 on March 22, 2015, 11:10:52 AM
I'm sure how it is supposed to work. I noticed last night after some gaming, smart trim was trimming other process's, just not the game. I think if that option is selected, trim will not even get triggered.
Yeh, I just unchecked it with game mode on and its does do a smarttrim but still getting 0 processes trimmed only , can't figure whats wrong here .
Bitsum QA Engineer

chris635

Quote from: edkiefer on March 22, 2015, 11:15:14 AM
Yeh, I just unchecked it with game mode on and its does do a smarttrim but still getting 0 processes trimmed only , can't figure whats wrong here .

Look at the working set for your process's, are any over 196mb (are any over 50mb)? Jeremy set that as default last night.
Chris