Version 8 Beta Progress (v7.9 beta)

Started by chris635, March 04, 2015, 08:25:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chris635

Right now, out of 58 process's, I only have 4 over 100mb, which is where I currently have the working set...set to.
Chris

edkiefer

Quote from: chris635 on March 22, 2015, 11:19:14 AM
Look at the working set for your process's, are any over 196mb (are any over 50mb)? Jeremy set that as default last night.
yes, way over 1gig with Palemoon browser .
Bitsum QA Engineer

chris635

Still not working huh? Hmmm...it's still trimming on my end.

Chris

edkiefer

Nope, I just get smarttrim trimmed 0 processes , nothing seems to trim for me in this version .

I am on Win7 pro 64bit, if that matters .

Edit: I raised perprocess to 256mb (was below default 196mb I think ), I did get one trim (flashplayer plugin) just now, but still odd Palemoon is over a gig and its not trimming that one .
I thought maybe have per-process below the min setting might of mess it up .

Going to run photo app (using over 600mb ) so this should get trimmed .
Edit2: no trimming done with photo editor .
Bitsum QA Engineer

chris635

Chris

edkiefer

ok, I restarted Palemoon and next trim, did trim it .

not sure whats going on why originally it didn't see high working set in it or the photo editor .

I try again on photo editor (rawtherapee ) .
Bitsum QA Engineer

chris635

That is curious as it should have seen 1gb working set. Doesn't palemoon share firefox profile? If so I wonder if that has something to do with it?
Chris

edkiefer

Quote from: chris635 on March 22, 2015, 01:28:37 PM
That is curious as it should have seen 1gb working set. Doesn't palemoon share firefox profile? If so I wonder if that has something to do with it?
I don't know, neither photo editor or Palemoon get trimmed again, even though working set is way past per-process mark value .

I even did manual trim but again 0 trimmed process .

Palemoon is based off FF , I don't have FF loaded and will have to check profile (I know you can use FF or PM profile ) .

Edit: ok, Palemoon uses its own folder but does use same profile format as FF but not under Mozila folder .

Lets see what Jeremy says, I don't want to keep clogging thread with same issues as were going around in circles now on my end .
Edit3 : I am seeing trimming on photo editor and Palemoon with min ramload raised to 65% , which is opposite of what I would expect .
This was done with manual trimmed, but before manual gave same as auto-15min setting .
I post back if auto now trims with higher 65% min ram load value .
Yes, it auto trimmed photo editor but didn't Palemoon, I manually ran trim right afterwards and then it did trim Palemoon .
not sure why sporadic results but maybe data will help pin down issues .
Bitsum QA Engineer

chris635

Quote from: edkiefer on March 22, 2015, 01:40:53 PM

Lets see what Jeremy says, I don't want to keep clogging thread with same issues as were going around in circles now on my end .

Agreed.
Chris

Jeremy Collake

I just glimpsed through this as I prepare localization issues and PR stuff for 8.0 ... If there are issues with the code, I'll fix them in 8.0.1, as necessary - but I don't believe there are any critical problems. SmartTrim should work as advertised.

FWIW, I believe the issue is the new defaults, good call chris.

Many users will be disappointed to see SmartTrim do nothing, but that's the best thing it could do most of the time. As I innovate, I'll have it do more in more scenarios, but never just so we can say it did something. If Smart is in the name, might as well endeavor to be just that :).
Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.

Tarnak

I thought SmartTrim had stopped working, after the last beta...because when I checked there was nothing.

However, I opened the GUI a short time ago and I tried to check again, and it was unresponsive...PL shutdown...only processGovernor.exe was showing in ProcessExplorer.

After, a restart of PL, I have SmartTrim showing again.

edkiefer

Quote from: Jeremy Collake on March 22, 2015, 05:24:06 PM
I just glimpsed through this as I prepare localization issues and PR stuff for 8.0 ... If there are issues with the code, I'll fix them in 8.0.1, as necessary - but I don't believe there are any critical problems. SmartTrim should work as advertised.

FWIW, I believe the issue is the new defaults, good call chris.

Many users will be disappointed to see SmartTrim do nothing, but that's the best thing it could do most of the time. As I innovate, I'll have it do more in more scenarios, but never just so we can say it did something. If Smart is in the name, might as well endeavor to be just that :).
That is fine .
What I am seeing or don't understand is with the min ram load slider .
I would think with a value below your running ram load it would allow trimming when applicable and when you raise it way above your running ram load , trim will never trim .
This is now opposite to what i am seeing with latest . I only get trimming with high ram load values and no trim with low ones .
even with manual trims .
Just something to look at when you get a chance .
For me personal, I don't or plan to use smarttrim as I never go above like 60% even in heavy use . IMO its best to use memory, not save it .
But for some with low memory configs it can be helpful .
Bitsum QA Engineer

chris635

Yes, I agree Ed. I rarely get over 25% unless gaming or performing something very intensive. I do like the idea of trimming individual process though (firefox and outlook to name a few).
Chris

edkiefer

Quote from: chris635 on March 22, 2015, 06:03:59 PM
Yes, I agree Ed. I rarely get over 25% unless gaming or performing something very intensive. I do like the idea of trimming individual process though (firefox and outlook to name a few).
yup, if you have a processes that does go high and you want to limit it then it can be helpful even with large ram amounts .
It just depends on your use and what app you use .

IMO it would be good with game mode to have option to trim at startup game exe , this way your trimming any low hanging fruit before running game and not trim actual game while playing , something to think about i guess  :)
Bitsum QA Engineer

Jeremy Collake

Definitely it's a conservative algorithm to start with. If you set the min RAM load too low, it'll almost never find an eligible process because hardly any RAM is being used by running applications. Even when you use 'Trim Now'. This is something that may change, in time.. I mean, if users really want to trim everything, then certainly I'll add a 'full trim' or something.

I continue to check for any problems. I'm too experienced to dare think I don't make mistakes, but am prepared to quickly deal with anything that comes up.

chris635

AND THE TRIGGER HAS BEEN PULLED.....WOOP! WOOP!  ;D
Chris

edkiefer

Quote from: Jeremy Collake on March 22, 2015, 06:32:22 PM
Definitely it's a conservative algorithm to start with. If you set the min RAM load too low, it'll almost never find an eligible process because hardly any RAM is being used by running applications. Even when you use 'Trim Now'. This is something that may change, in time.. I mean, if users really want to trim everything, then certainly I'll add a 'full trim' or something.

I continue to check for any problems. I'm too experienced to dare think I don't make mistakes, but am prepared to quickly deal with anything that comes up.
This is what I am having trouble rapping my head around .
Bitsum QA Engineer

Jeremy Collake

Yea, and you may not be the only one. That may be 8.0.1's next change.

edkiefer

Quote from: Jeremy Collake on March 22, 2015, 06:58:55 PM
Yea, and you may not be the only one. That may be 8.0.1's next change.
As long as it is documented and give recommended settings (either depending on app usage or user avg load amounts ) should be fine .

What is default for top slider 65% ?
So then if say you normally running high memory usage is avg of 50% , you would want min ram load % to be set to like 60-75% ?
Bitsum QA Engineer

edkiefer

small update, I added bf4.exe to smarttrim exclude list but it still got trimmed while I was gaming .
Don't know if this is new as first time i tried .
Bitsum QA Engineer

Jeremy Collake

Quote from: edkiefer on March 23, 2015, 11:19:52 PM
small update, I added bf4.exe to smarttrim exclude list but it still got trimmed while I was gaming .
Don't know if this is new as first time i tried .

I'll take a look at it and issue any fixes necessary in a coming minor update.

edkiefer

great, Also in above settings I have the "allow trimming when game mode is engaged" disabled, not ticked .
Bitsum QA Engineer

Jeremy Collake

One note is that the exclusion is a wildcard match on the entire pathname. This hasn't been noted before, so figured I'd so here while I evaluate and test the code to see why it would have been acted on.

Jeremy Collake

I believe I discovered and fixed the cause, which may have been because this exclusion was also marked as a game process (nothing to do with checkbox about acting while in gaming mode). I'm still going through things, double checking it.

So, next minor update I push out, it should act right. I may publish interim betas, unsure on that yet.

Let me know if not!

Thanks

Jeremy Collake

8.0.0.2FixCoreFix a case where a trim could occur on a process marked as both a game and exclusion, under the right conditions

Vague, but it's hard to explain this in detail. There is so much to the entirety of the logic that makes all this work. Basically, a secondary check that would *never* be reached had you not unchecked 'allow trim while gaming mode' was inverted. That secondary check was actually redundant, so is now removed.

Jeremy Collake

BTW, I plan to push out 8.0.1.0 or something similar in a few days, after we clean up any other minor things that are inevitably found after release. This happens for all software, companies big or small. Personally, I'm happy so long as the release bugs are small, and they have been.

edkiefer

Quote from: Jeremy Collake on March 24, 2015, 12:00:51 PM
<table><tr><td>8.0.0.2</td><td>Fix</td><td>Core</td><td>Fix a case where a trim could occur on a process marked as both a game and exclusion, under the right conditions</td></tr></table>

Vague, but it's hard to explain this in detail. There is so much to the entirety of the logic that makes all this work. Basically, a secondary check that would *never* be reached had you not unchecked 'allow trim while gaming mode' was inverted. That secondary check was actually redundant, so is now removed.
Last time I tested "allow smarttrim to trim when game mode is engaged" it works the opposite , no trim when checked .

On path of exe, you can only add exe name, there is no path, search to process now .

I'll test next beta .
Bitsum QA Engineer

chris635

Quote from: edkiefer on March 24, 2015, 12:18:02 PM
Last time I tested "allow smarttrim to trim when game mode is engaged" it works the opposite , no trim when checked .

On path of exe, you can only add exe name, there is no path, search to process now .

I'll test next beta .

I can confirm this.
Chris

Jeremy Collake

I know you can only add the process basename, but that is inherently part of the full path. Thus, it didn't matter - but I wanted to mention it. It is something I'll clarify going forward.

I'm still getting into gear here guys. Building silent 8.0.0.2 now, which should do better. Like I said, at the end of the week, I'll push a minor update with the latest fixes and language updates.

This is how we do things here at Bitsum. Never wait for perfection (though of course make sure things work), but always keep the ball rolling. It works pretty well.

Read more about how we do our versioning here: https://bitsum.wordpress.com/2015/01/16/how-bitsum-does-our-version-control/

Jeremy Collake

Amended this page a bit to describe the type of highly incremental and frequent release development strategy that Bitsum uses. That was the original intent of that post, way back when, but I got distracted at the time (apparently) and ended up at the basic description of our VCS.

chris635

Quote from: Jeremy Collake on March 24, 2015, 12:48:26 PM
Amended this page a bit to describe the type of highly incremental and frequent release development strategy that Bitsum uses. That was the original intent of that post, way back when, but I got distracted at the time (apparently) and ended up at the basic description of our VCS.

You amended the log in page for word press?..lol  ;D
Chris

Jeremy Collake

chris635

Chris

Jeremy Collake

But if I ever do hack WordPress and amend their login page, that would also be pretty cool ;p.

chris635

Quote from: Jeremy Collake on March 24, 2015, 01:04:17 PM
But if I ever do hack WordPress and amend their login page, that would also be pretty cool ;p.

New benefits of using pro version of process lasso.. :o..lol.
Chris

edkiefer

Quote from: Jeremy Collake on March 24, 2015, 12:28:25 PM
I know you can only add the process basename, but that is inherently part of the full path. Thus, it didn't matter - but I wanted to mention it. It is something I'll clarify going forward.

I'm still getting into gear here guys. Building silent 8.0.0.2 now, which should do better. Like I said, at the end of the week, I'll push a minor update with the latest fixes and language updates.

This is how we do things here at Bitsum. Never wait for perfection (though of course make sure things work), but always keep the ball rolling. It works pretty well.

Read more about how we do our versioning here: https://bitsum.wordpress.com/2015/01/16/how-bitsum-does-our-version-control/
Right , I know you would know :)
I just wanted to give most info so you know what my setting was and what I entered in the field "bf4.exe" .

sounds good .
Bitsum QA Engineer

BenYeeHua

Quote from: edkiefer on March 24, 2015, 01:18:50 PM
Right , I know you would know :)
I just wanted to give most info so you know what my setting was and what I entered in the field "bf4.exe" .

sounds good .
ONLY IN BATTLEFIELD
DUN DUN DUN DUN DUN DUN!  8)

Jeremy Collake

Quote from: BenYeeHua on March 24, 2015, 02:50:01 PM
ONLY IN BATTLEFIELD
DUN DUN DUN DUN DUN DUN!  8)

I corrected that in 8.0.0.2. That's why you saw it only trim battlefield in gaming mode. I am not sure about trim while gaming mode is active, but I'm testing that now and will make sure it doesn't. Like I said, the conglomerate of all these minor fixes will not be pushed out for a few days. None are critical (in my mind). It's more preference of behavior stuff.

Jeremy Collake

Build refresh 8.0.0.3 makes an adjustment that should resolve the 'Allow SmartTrim if Gaming Mode engaged' issue. It should upload in about 30 minutes. I'm disappointed that I missed these issues prior to final, but still consider them minor in the grand scheme of things, and easily resolve with the first pushed minor update.

chris635

Quote from: Jeremy Collake on March 24, 2015, 04:04:15 PM
Build refresh 8.0.0.3 makes an adjustment that should resolve the 'Allow SmartTrim if Gaming Mode engaged' issue. It should upload in about 30 minutes.

I'll check it sometime tonight.
Chris

Jeremy Collake

Thanks. I'll be checking it again myself, so am reasonably confident it's right, but God knows every developer needs QA support :)

Jeremy Collake

8.0.0.3 is out. If there are no other localization updates, I may push a minor update on out (notify 8.0 users there is a new build). We'll see. Certainly it won't be long, in any event.

edkiefer

It worked fine with defaults , just some minor tweaks needed .

Nothing yet showing on update (8.0.0.3 )
Oh, not yet , misread .
Bitsum QA Engineer

BenYeeHua

Quote from: Jeremy Collake on March 24, 2015, 04:13:35 PM
Thanks. I'll be checking it again myself, so am reasonably confident it's right, but God knows every developer needs QA support :)
And more eyes from difference angle is better than just testing in the same computer. ;)
---
https://bitsum.com/forum/index.php?topic=4789.0;topicseen#msg17892
And here is the issue that SmartTrim can't see any processes?

chris635

Trying to update to 8.0.0.3 but process lasso 8.0 is up to date. Smart trim will not trim Steam games (this is good) but it will trim games under Origin, I played BF4 and Crysis3..both got trimmed. At least for v8.0. How do I get v 8.0.0.3?
Chris

Jeremy Collake

Thanks for the reminder on origin games, I'll work on that. It got compromised out at the last minute.

An official update will be pushed out tomorrow. I don't want to bother users with every minor build refresh, so figured waiting a few days to make sure any release-discovered flaws were corrected was appropriate. By tomorrow, they should all be.

Then we'll move forward to new versions, with new capabilities.

chris635

Chris

chris635

Under game mode settings. Can you add auto engage for origin just like steam? I could then remove wild card for origin child process's and automatically enter game just like it does for steam.
Chris

Jeremy Collake

Exactly what I intend.

It will be just another gaming mode inducer. No new option, included with steam option (for now). Will have text to redo and retranslate either way, but will deal with that later.

chris635

I should have guessed you were on top of it.
Chris