Version 8 Beta Progress (v7.9 beta)

Started by chris635, March 04, 2015, 08:25:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeremy Collake

I made some changes as I continue fast and furious dev, so if anything gets broken, just let me know (I know you will!). Thanks again guys, almost there. The 21st is just a few days.

I'll spend most of tonight's session on licensing and infrastructure stuff.

Then go ahead and enable that 'quick toggle' button of the process icons, if I have time to work it out.
Software Engineer. Bitsum LLC.

chris635

Sounds like a llllloooonnnggggg night! 8)
Chris

Jeremy Collake

During such periods as this, night becomes day, and sleep is rare. It's not a work state a person could remain in, but it's that creative impetus that makes all this possible. It's hard to quantify, harder to induce, and best to simply be thankful for, and take advantage of.

Jeremy Collake

The way I've exposed SmartTrim in v7.9.8.7 beta is such that it defaults to a 15 minute periodic trim, else it's disabled - or some other periodic trim value is selected.

No more 'let smarttrim decide' and no more 'no periodic tirm'. Either means SmartTrim is disabled. Though I have left the latter, just for the sake of having it there.

Jeremy Collake

Note that this build is not yet uploaded. Darn Timestamping servers acting up. The current beta build operates similarly, but is missing the 15 minute menu items and such.

edkiefer

SmartTrim in v7.9.8.5 beta is trimming ever 5min , will check when 7.9.8.7 comes out.
Bitsum QA Engineer

Jeremy Collake

Yes, that will change in this next build.

chris635

I was doing some gaming, missed the newest beta, but it will not update yet (7.9.8.5b). Anyway, i was playing some crysis3 and smart trim ...trimmed it.
Chris

Jeremy Collake

So what happened was that I had an epiphany to simplify SmartTrim. This method reduces menu items, makes things simpler.

The only negative side effect is that the 'Trim Now' will only be available when SmartTrim has at least been enabled, though the user can select 'no periodic trim'. That may change.

The 5 minute trim those who get the short lived .5 build are just seeing an aberration as I changed the design and had it check more frequently. It was then that I had this rather obvious epiphany to just tie these together and kill this option.

Largely, SmartTrim will be smart based on process criteria, not timing.

However, exceptions do exist, such as doing a trim before entering gaming mode. Whether more temporal criteria are added is something we'll explore in the future.

Jeremy Collake

7.9.8.7 is out.

.5 definitely you can just toss out. It was an interim build. Wouldn't function as intended in the final design.

Now to test this further myself, and keep on trucking. I think this will do well, whether additional changes are needed or not.

chris635

Quote from: Jeremy Collake on March 18, 2015, 09:50:26 PM
So what happened was that I had an epiphany to simplify SmartTrim. This method reduces menu items, makes things simpler.

The only negative side effect is that the 'Trim Now' will only be available when SmartTrim has at least been enabled, though the user can select 'no periodic trim'. That may change.

The 5 minute trim those who get the short lived .5 build are just seeing an aberration as I changed the design and had it check more frequently. It was then that I had this rather obvious epiphany to just tie these together and kill this option.

Largely, SmartTrim will be smart based on process criteria, not timing.

However, exceptions do exist, such as doing a trim before entering gaming mode. Whether more temporal criteria are added is something we'll explore in the future.

aaahhh..that does sound better.
Chris

chris635

Just updated to .7. Let me do some more gaming with.....say some "alien isolation"?
Chris

Jeremy Collake

An exclusion for Games is probably more appropriate than trimming prior to gaming mode entry, so it's likely I'll do that, or replace that option.

Jeremy Collake

Actually, .7 is going to check for a trim at 5 minutes too. I rushed. Haste makes waste. Damnit.

chris635

Quote from: Jeremy Collake on March 18, 2015, 10:12:11 PM
Actually, .7 is going to check for a trim at 5 minutes too. I rushed. Haste makes waste. Damnit.

Just played a quick game....that's a lot of trimming Jeremy....poke..poke!..lol
Chris

Jeremy Collake

7.9.8.9 beta is building now, but again hot off the presses. The 5 minute trim check was legacy stuff from the prior design.

I also decided to indeed couple the two settings (RAM Load and process minimum working set).

That is the intended design. It should be fine, but I'm issuing beta builds as I test them, which is - well - appropriate. Though I do need to slow it down a bit, which I will do after this is sorted.

Jeremy Collake

Ok, .9 is uploaded. Testing it myself, but should be fine. I had just left some code from the prior design in the last beta build, as I mentioned. It should do much less trimming.

But, regardless, I'll now slow down on the builds, so I can speed up on the coding and code review.

chris635

Quote from: Jeremy Collake on March 18, 2015, 10:47:24 PM
Ok, .9 is uploaded. Testing it myself, but should be fine. I had just left some code from the prior design in the last beta build, as I mentioned. It should do much less trimming.

But, regardless, I'll now slow down on the builds, so I can speed up on the coding and code review.

triiiiiiiiiimmmmmmmmm...lol!

Chris

chris635

How did you guess that's how I pronounce trim in my southern drawl? ;D
Chris

BenYeeHua

Not sure, but I will said as Teeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeammmmmmmmmm!(team)
Bad English, right? ::)

chris635

Quote from: BenYeeHua on March 18, 2015, 11:01:52 PM
Not sure, but I will said as Teeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeammmmmmmmmm!(team)
Bad English, right? ::)

lol!....he's on a roll though. Man he is busting his arse to pump this thing out.
Chris

chris635

Normal operations with 15 minutes set seems fine. Check back later with some more gaming.
Chris

chris635

The 7.9.8.9 b is working fine. Trim is working every 15 minutes and it is excluding games.
Chris

edkiefer

Quote from: Jeremy Collake on March 18, 2015, 10:47:24 PM

some observation of 7.9.8.9B , Not sure what option "Trim when game mode is engaged" , When I start a game that has game mode enabled I didn't see a trim trigger when it started .
tried a few app that I have set to game mode and same thing .

While running BF4 it did trim BF4 but in the 15min interval (I don't have BF4 set to exclude trim yet ) .
Bitsum QA Engineer

chris635

Quote from: edkiefer on March 19, 2015, 09:14:58 AM
some observation of 7.9.8.9B , Not sure what option "Trim when game mode is engaged" , When I start a game that has game mode enabled I didn't see a trim trigger when it started .
tried a few app that I have set to game mode and same thing .

While running BF4 it did trim BF4 but in the 15min interval (I don't have BF4 set to exclude trim yet ) .

Ed,
   I think games were excluded based on Jeremy's post last night. I was playing some games on steam and they did not trim. I looked back at my logs and it doesn't trim anything while in game mode, even with "Trim when game mode is engaged". I'm not sure if he is pushing to have any process's classified as game mode to be excluded but still trim everything else. As far as trim schedule, he changed it back to 15 minutes as default. I'm on the fence, but should games really be trimmed out while playing?
Chris

edkiefer

Quote from: chris635 on March 19, 2015, 09:46:49 AM
Ed,
   I think games were excluded based on Jeremy's post last night. I was playing some games on steam and they did not trim. I looked back at my logs and it doesn't trim anything while in game mode, even with "Trim when game mode is engaged". I'm not sure if he is pushing to have any process's classified as game mode to be excluded but still trim everything else. As far as trim schedule, he changed it back to 15 minutes as default. I'm on the fence, but should games really be trimmed out while playing?
Ok, My BF4 is a Origin game , I do have BL2 which i think is steam, didn't test it .

On trimming with game, my gut feeling is trim system before/during game startup , I don't think it would be good overall to trim games when its running .
That said , I haven't noticed any issues, no stuttering or anything like that with trim, but again I only have few games and not knowing exactly when trimed makes it hard .
Hmm ,maybe AB OSD will show memory go down, but again its hard to test .

PS: In this thread I am just posting results , not that that is way anything should be run, just trying to test function of options .
Bitsum QA Engineer

chris635

I'll check crysis3 which I have through origin..may be a while though.
Chris

edkiefer

Ok, Just checked BL2 , no auto trim when starting it .
Steam did auto enable game mode on its own , but I didn't get any trim , I was only in game BL2 a min(3d world) or so but game was running few min .

Oh and to be specific with steam
steam started -auto game mode , then game mode off -no game process app running and power plan goes back to default .

when BL2 launched then enters game mode with proper power plan (bitsum HP) .
Bitsum QA Engineer

Jeremy Collake

Thanks guys.

Some notes... By the final build:

1. SmartTrim will (but may not necessarily now) exclude any process classified as a game, or a Steam or other auto-detected game --- assuming that option is checked
2. This is regardless of whether it's actually being played or not. I'll assume that if the game is running, it's being played -- a pretty safe assumption 98% of the time.
3. Settings may have changed through the betas - so just be aware.

I have many work items unrelated to SmartTrim, so I'm hoping that today I verify that everything is working 100% with it and can move on from it entirely - for now.

chris635

Quote from: Jeremy Collake on March 19, 2015, 10:13:52 AM
Thanks guys.

Some notes... By the final build:

1. SmartTrim will (but may not necessarily now) exclude any process classified as a game, or a Steam or other auto-detected game --- assuming that option is checked
2. This is regardless of whether it's actually being played or not. I'll assume that if the game is running, it's being played -- a pretty safe assumption 98% of the time.
3. Settings may have changed through the betas - so just be aware.

I have many work items unrelated to SmartTrim, so I'm hoping that today I verify that everything is working 100% with it and can move on from it entirely - for now.

Roger that! I think we have proven smart trim works, and works well, and on the final build all the details for it will be sorted for more control as you have stated. I'll continue to monitor logs for every day usage, and look for anything that jumps out at me. Good job Jeremy! ;)
Chris

chris635

I know your super busy man, on the next release you might want to fix "triim" to "trim" under periodic timed trim, the every 15 minutes selection.
Chris

Jeremy Collake

Quote from: chris635 on March 19, 2015, 12:07:33 PM
I know your super busy man, on the next release you might want to fix "triim" to "trim" under periodic timed trim, the every 15 minutes selection.

Done. Thanks!

edkiefer

Some observation on these two ,changelog entries 7.9.9.1[beta] trim logic .

[beta2beta] SmartTrim will now log if it skips trim due to memory load not over minimum
[beta2beta] SmartTrim will now act if RAM load above minimum and process's working set is over minimum

I am not seeing anything different from before if no trim happens ,It logs "smartrim done "   "trimmed 0 processes of x processes "

On logic it still trims even with higher ram load values . This is assuming both slider functions need to pass before any trimming is done (which I think is what you posted you wanted) .

example ram load is 30% , browser is at 500mb , slider is set to 65%min ram load and 85mb per -process value .
It still trims browser and few other processes with these settings on slider .
Bitsum QA Engineer

Jeremy Collake

Yea, it is acting as-intended, at least for the moment.

Later, additional log statements about why processes are skipped or a trim isn't performed may be added.

For now, getting 8.0 out on time is the priority.

edkiefer

Bitsum QA Engineer

Jeremy Collake

I see what you are saying now, I will double check the AND.

We had a brief server outage, about an hour. First in years, that I can remember. Very frustrating, but I had a backup server operational within an hour (which is when they fixed the original server, naturally).

edkiefer

Quote from: Jeremy Collake on March 19, 2015, 06:28:20 PM
I see what you are saying now, I will double check the AND.

We had a brief server outage, about an hour. First in years, that I can remember. Very frustrating, but I had a backup server operational within an hour (which is when they fixed the original server, naturally).
Good your seeing what I have posted .

Yes, lost connection to here for a while .
Bitsum QA Engineer

Jeremy Collake

Our architecture is almost as robust as possible on a medium budget, but - sadly - without secondary (load balancing) servers immediately available to be redundant, rare network outages are bound to affect any single server.

If Rackspace would allow me to clone, then 'pause', our current web server, then these outages could be fixed as soon as I hit my keyboard. But, at best, it takes 30 minutes for their systems to build me a replacement cloud server from my latest backup image. They no doubt disallow this to make sure people pay for that secondary server 100% of the time, not just when they need it :o

Jeremy Collake

Presently, although I have quite a few remaining chores, I believe we'll meet the target release date late tomorrow. About 36 hours from now.

Then Ill begin on all the other work planned for Lasso and beyond.

chris635

Testing process lasso while stress testing different frequencies with IBT (IBT is excluded from restraint and smart trim). As you can see process lasso is doing just fine handling back ground activities while also trimming other process's.
Chris

chris635

Final frequency testing with high ram overclocks. I think it is safe to say trim is working fine in the background while the system was being hammered. Looking forward to version 8.
Chris

chris635

Jeremy,

I was messing around with smart trim a little more. Normally I have "Never act until RAM load exceeds" set to 25%. In the "Advanced Configuration" option, the ram load slider will be set to 25% (I'm assuming based off of the "Never act until RAM load exceeds" option), and the minimum process working set is at 100mb. In the advanced configuration, I changed it from 25% to 15% (to test) as my ram load at the time was 19%. When I made this change to 15%, no options where checked in the "Never act until RAM load exceeds" (I would assume is because I set it to 15% in the advanced configuration). I waited to see if trim would happen. Smart trim did trigger, however it did not clean anything even though my ram load was at 19%. Is this to be expected?

Chris
Chris

edkiefer

It is normal for no checkmark to show if you set slider to value not equal to one of options .

You can check ini file to make sure the value you set is set correctly (it should be )

I think the trim logic still needs some tweaking yet but overall works .
Bitsum QA Engineer

chris635

Yeah I did double check in the ini file and it was what I set it to. I was curious if it was meant to not show up in the regular ram % options since there was only four options for ram load. As far ram loads below 25%...ie..10%,15% or what ever you set it to, I wasn't sure if Jeremy actually had process lasso to not trim below a certain %.
Chris

Jeremy Collake

Yes, simply because the RAM Load > 15% or whatever, it is entirely possible that SmartTrim finds no processes worth trimming.

chris635

Quote from: Jeremy Collake on March 21, 2015, 12:45:42 AM
Yes, simply because the RAM Load > 15% or whatever, it is entirely possible that SmartTrim finds no processes worth trimming.

okay.
Chris

BenYeeHua

I wonder what will happen after the version number hit v7.9.9.9, we might just has v8.0.0.0 as beta. ;D
----
Anyways, did the advanced settings for SmartTrim will only for Pro user?

chris635

Quote from: BenYeeHua on March 21, 2015, 03:13:09 PM
I wonder what will happen after the version number hit v7.9.9.9, we might just has v8.0.0.0 as beta. ;D

LOL!...Your trying to start trouble... ;D
Chris

Tarnak

Quote from: Jeremy Collake on March 18, 2015, 09:03:18 PM
The way I've exposed SmartTrim in v7.9.8.7 beta is such that it defaults to a 15 minute periodic trim, else it's disabled - or some other periodic trim value is selected.

No more 'let smarttrim decide' and no more 'no periodic tirm'. Either means SmartTrim is disabled. Though I have left the latter, just for the sake of having it there.

OK...I have [just] enabled SmartTrim in my XP system...However, I don't know if it is doing anything, since I see no observable difference, enabled or disabled.

P.S.  I just got a popup while composing this post. See attached